In This Section
- Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Archiving Restoration and Digital Libraries
- Audio for Games
- Audio for Telecommunications
- Audio Forensics
- Automotive Audio
- Broadcast and Online Delivery
- Coding of Audio Signals
- Fiber Optics for Audio
- Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
- High Resolution Audio
- Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Microphones and Applications
- Network Audio Systems
- Perception and Subjective Evaluation of Audio Signals
- Recording Technology and Practices
- Semantic Audio Analysis
- Signal Processing
- Sound for Digital Cinema and Television
- Spatial Audio
AES Technical Committee
Loudspeakers and Headphones
|Chair:||Steve Hutt||Send Email|
|Vice Chair:||Juha Backman||Send Email|
TCLH - Mission:
The committee works to ensure that the AES membership has the opportunity to learn of relevent new transducer technology as it develops, with an emphasis on sound field generation from loudspeakers and headphones.
Resources & Events
The TC on Loudspeakers and Headphones helps to maintain a Topic Website on Loudspeakers and Headphones.
Areas of Concentration
- Transducer Design
- Electronic Processing Techniques
- Distortion Analysis
- Measurement Techniques
- Digital speakers
Current Areas Of Work
- Specifications Discussion:
- Exploring terms, methods & definitions of power ratings. - a big topic
- AES Technical Committee on Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Meeting Notes:
- AES 140th Paris, 5/June/16 11:00 am Salon – Palais room 363
- Chair: Steve Hutt
- Mark Dodd - GP Acoustics
- Jack Oclee-Brown - GP Acoustics
- Michael Hedges - Jaguar Land Rover
- Michael Turner - Neidec Servomotors, elecroacoustic consultant.
- Martial Rousseau – Bowers & Wilkens
- Chris Struck - CJS Labs, standards Director Acoustical Society America
- Todd Welti - Harman
- Patrick Hagerty – Dynaudio, co-chair Conference on Headphones
- Hans Van Maanen, Temproal Coherence
- Marian Leibec, Klippel
- Micro speakers
- Applications for micro speakers continue to expand with high mechanical demands
- rocking modes are an issue with single suspension transducers
- Compression drivers with flat suspensions suffer rocking.
- Klippel has been investigating & developing analysis & solutions
- Trend in measurements and correlation to subjective preference:
- - the market is 'getting more grown up'.
- Some companies (perhaps not audio companies) may be unaware that there are performance targets.
- Many do know, AKG, Etymotic, Beyer etc.
- Some are looking at the target curve to develop company.
- Some companies may be embracing the Harman target curves - maybe even faster than Harman brands.
- Apps for headphones are appearing:
- From simple EQ apps to BiLi binaural HRTF management from Orange, BBC etc.
- Workshop Concepts:
- Time domain measurement and analysis.
- Hans van Maanen has volunteered to chair.
- will organize for AES 142nd, Berlin
- Power Capacity
- Power Capacity of Loudspeakers (drivers & systems) is a complex topic.
- A first workshop might only explore questions.
- How can the AES2-2012 loudspeaker driver test be better explained in the industry. i.e. why is this test not relevant to loudspeaker systems?
- What kind of power capacity information is important to system designers and users.
- Can programme material be organized into some kind of definitions?
- Etc. etc.
- 2016 AES International Conference on Headphone Technology
- Dates: August 24-26, 2016
- update by chair: Patrick Hegarty
- 40 submissions, chose 30 + 10 posters
- 19 demos
- Standards Liaison:
- EIA 60268-(5) update
- The first IEC standard project IEC 60268-21 - Sound System Equipment - Loudspeakers - Acoustical (Output Based) Measurements is running and an international working group has been created. The aim is to revise the draft and to circulate it to IEC CO for CD circulation. Valuable feedback has been already provided and more is coming from the national committees.
- The German national committee provides a proposal for a second related standard document IEC 60268-xxx - Sound System Equipment - Loudspeakers – elekctrical and mechanical Measurements.
- A summary on both standards will be presented during the next AES convention in LA
- New Topics:
- Chris Struck introduced the topic of “Measurement Uncertainty”
- IEC boilerplate has a very general description about measurement uncertainty. Chris is working on expanding it. ISO 98 guide.
- Next Meeting:
- AES 141st, Los Angeles 29Sept-2Oct/2016
These documents do not necessarily express the official position of the AES on the issues discussed at these meetings, and only represent the views of committee members participating in the discussion. Any unauthorized use of these publications is prohibited. Authorization must be obtained from the Executive Director of the AES: Email, Tel: +1 212 661 8528, Address: 551 Fifth Ave., Suite 1225, New York, New York 10176, USA.
2016-6-5 TC-LH 140th Meeting Notes.
Description: Meeting notes from the TCLH meeting 5/June16 - Paris
2015-11-2 AES 139th TCLH Meeting Notes
Description: TC Loudspeakers & Headphones Meeting notes from the 139th, New York, 31 October 2015.
2015-6-10 TC-LH 138th Meeting Report
Description: TC Loudspeakers & Headphones Meeting notes from the 138th, Warsaw, May 2015
2013-5-7 AES 133 TCLH San Francisco minutes
Description: Meeting minutes from the Technical Committee meeting on Loudspeakers and Headphones, Held in San Francisco on October 28, 2012.
2013-5-13 AES Tutorial Diagnostics on irregular loudspeaker defects
Description: AES Tutorial Diagnostics on irregular loudspeaker defects, WOLFGANG KLIPPEL, Rome 2013
|Allan Phillips||Bob Zurek||David Clark|
|David Dage||Don Keele||Doug Button|
|Marshall Buck||Peter Mapp||Earl Geddes|
|John Stewart||John Vanderkooy||Mark Ziemba|
|Juha Backman||Jim Stratman||Giles Davis|
|Jason Linse||John Busenitz||Richard S Stroud|
|Edgar Kirk||Gottfried Schmid||Francesco Tordini|
|Richard Small||Stanley Lipshitz||Tom Nousaine|
|Erling Sandermann Olsen||Mark Dodd||Steve Hutt|
|Scott Orth||Alex Voishvillo||Aldoshima Irino|
|Neil Harris||Simone Koo||Wolfgang Klippel|
|Ryan Mihelich||Michael Howes||Roberto Magalotti|
|Brian Sterling||Timo Esser||Robert Franks|
|Tim Mellow||Kenneth Deetz||Alan Trevena|
|Florian Konig||Brian Fligor||Ken Kantor|
|Sean O'Brien||Mattia Cobianchi||Robert Klacza|
|Wendy Mittelstadt||Hans van Maanen||Robert Baum|
|Murilo Alvares||Ron Ajemian||Michael Hedges|
|J M Woodgate||Laurie Fincham||Philippe Herzog|
|Christopher Struck||David Carlstrom||Peter Brown|
|David Prince||Paul Barton||Ronald Sauro|
|Charles Hughes II||Richard Little||Geoff Hill|
|Rachel Cruz||Roger Schwenke||Michael Turner|
|Paul Apollonio||Karl Kerstein||Michael Santucci|
|Patrick James Hegarty||Pat Dennis||CheahHeng Tan|
|Alexander Lindau, Dr.||Jesse Lippert||Colin Bigland|
To request membership in this Technical Committee please email the Chair by using the link above.