In This Section
- Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Archiving Restoration and Digital Libraries
- Audio for Games
- Audio for Telecommunications
- Audio Forensics
- Automotive Audio
- Broadcast and Online Delivery
- Coding of Audio Signals
- Fiber Optics for Audio
- Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
- High Resolution Audio
- Human Factors in Audio Systems
- Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Microphones and Applications
- Network Audio Systems
- Perception and Subjective Evaluation of Audio Signals
- Recording Technology and Practices
- Semantic Audio Analysis
- Signal Processing
- Sound for Digital Cinema and Television
- Spatial Audio
AES Technical Committee
Semantic Audio Analysis
Chair: Mark Sandler (Send Email) Vice Chair: Gautham Mysore (Send Email) Vice Chair: Christian Uhle (Send Email)
This committee provides a forum in the AES for researchers and innovators to come together and discuss and disseminate the newest developments related to Semantic Audio. We are interested in how to extract meaning from audio signals, how to represent it and how to use it.
This includes developments in Music Information Retrieval, Intelligent Audio Editing, Semantic Audio Processing and Semantic Web for Music.
If you are interested in working with the committee and especially if you would like to propose a workshop or tutorial at a future Convention, please contact one of the above or atend the TC meetings at the conventions.
Areas of Concentration
- Music Information Retrieval
- Audio classification and segmentation
- Automatic music transcription
- Semantic Audio Processing
- Semantic Audio Production, Intelligent Editing and Audio Effects
- Computational Auditory Scene Analysis
- Blind source separation
- Musical similarity
- Audio indexing, hashing, searching
- Audio Markup and XML
- Music Web Services, Semantic Web for Music
- Digital Archiving and libraries
- Broadcast Monitoring
- Musical performance analysis, instrument tuition, musical education
We are planning workshops for the upcoming AES Convention.
If you are interested in our work, you can attend the meeting of the TC SAA at an AES Convention.
- Objective Analysis in Semantic Audio Analysis and Production - a workshop held at the AES 138th Convention in Warsaw. Panelists: Bob Sturm (Queen Mary University of London, UK), Colin Raffael (Columbia University, New York, USA), Xavier Serra (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain); co-chairs: George Fazekas (Queen Mary University of London, UK) and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany).
- Semantic Audio Production - a workshop held at the AES 136th Convention in Berlin. With Josh Reiss (Queen Mary University of London, UK), Bryan Pardo (Northwestern University, IL, USA), Stefan Ledergerber (Lawo Group, Zurich, Switzerland), and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany).
- AES 53rd International Conference on Semantic Audio,27-29 January 2014, London, UK, Conference website.
- Semantic Analysis for Speech Signals - a workshop held at the AES 134th Convention in Rome. With Yves Raimond (BBC R&D, UK), Joern Loviscach (University of Applied Sciences Bielefeld, Germany), and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany).
- Semantic Web and Semantic Audio technologies - a workshop held at the AES 132nd Convention in Budapest, with George Fazekas, Thomas Wilmering
- Semantic Audio Analysis in the Real World - a workshop held at the AES 132nd Convention in Budapest. Chaired by Andrew Mason (BBC R&D). Speakers: Andy Hill (I Like Music, UK), Mark Sandler (Queen Mary University of London, UK), Nigel Smith (BBC Audio and Music Interactive, UK), and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany)
- Intelligent Digital Audio Effects (I-DAFx) - a workshop held at the AES 127th Convention in New York. Speakers were Udo Zoelzer (Helmut Schmidt University, Germany), Josh Reiss (Queen Mary University of London, UK) and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany).
- Intelligent Digital Audio Effects (I-DAFx) - a workshop held at the AES 126th Convention in Munich. Speakers were Udo Zoelzer (Helmut Schmidt University, Germany), Josh Reiss (Queen Mary University of London, UK), Alexander Lerch (zplane.development, Germany) and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany). The slides are attached as a single zip-file.
- Analyzing, Recommending, and Searching Audio Content—Commercial Applications of Music Information Retrieval - a workshop held at the AES 125th Convention in San Francisco. Panelists included Markus Cremer (Gracenote), Matthias Gruhne (Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology), Tristan Jehan (The Echo Nest), Keyvan Mohajer (Melodis Corporation), and Jay LeBoeuf (Imagine Research).
- Intelligent audio systems: A review of the foundations and applications of semantic audio analysis and music information retrieval - a tutorial held at the AES 114th Convention in Munich. Presenters included: Perfecto Herrera-Boyer (Universitat Pompeu Fabra) and Jay LeBoeuf, Imagine Research.
- Music 2.0: Music and the Semantic Web - a workshop held at the 122nd Convention in Vienna. Speakers were: Scott Cohen of The Orchard, Mark Sandler and Yves Raimond of Queen Mary's Centre for Digital Music, Lucas Gonze of Yahoo!Music, and Oscar Celma of the Music Technology Group at Pompeu Fabra University. For more details see this website
- Audio Gets Smart - a workshop held at AES 115th Convention. Speakers were Dan Ellis of Columbia University, Michael Casey of City University and Juergen Herre of Fraunhoefer IIS. Talks may be downloaded from this website.
These documents do not necessarily express the official position of the AES on the issues discussed at these meetings, and only represent the views of committee members participating in the discussion. Any unauthorized use of these publications is prohibited. Authorization must be obtained from the Executive Director of the AES: Email, Tel: +1 212 661 8528, Address: 551 Fifth Ave., Suite 1225, New York, New York 10176, USA.
2015-5-12 Minutes AES 138
Description: Minutes from TC SAA Meeting held at the AES 138th Convention, Warsaw, May 2015
2014-5-5 Minutes AES 136
Description: Minutes from TC SAA Meeting held at the AES 136th Convention, Berlin, May 2014
2013-5-9 Minutes AES 134
Description: Minutes from TC SAA Meeting held at the AES 134rd Convention, Rome, May 2013
2013-1-2 Minutes AES 133
Description: Minutes of the meeting of the SAA TC at the 133rd convention, New York
2010-11-16 TC Minutes from 129th AES TC SAA Meeting
Description: Minutes from 129th AES TC SAA Meeting
2009-5-27 Minutes from 126th Convention
Description: Minutes from meeting of TC-SAA at 126th Convention, Munich, May 2009
2008-10-10 Minutes from 125th Convention
Description: Minutes from 125th Convention
2008-9-29 124th Minutes
Description: Minutes from meeting of TC-SAA at 124th Convention, Amsterdam, May 2008
2006-11-20 Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 117st Convention
Description: Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 117st Convention
2006-11-20 Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 121st Convention
Description: Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 121st Convention
2004-7-14 Minutes of TC meeting, AES 116th
Description: Minutes of the meeting held on Sunday 9 May 2004
2003-12-3 Minutes of TC meeting 10 Oct 2003, 115th Convention
Description: minutes of tc meeting in new york, 115th aes
2003-6-26 Minutes of the First meeting of the AES TC on Semantic Audio Analysis
Description: Minutes of the inaugural meeting of the TC on SAA
2009-5-26 Intelligent Digital Audio Effects (I-DAFx)
Description: Slides are attached as a single zip-file.
David Ackerman Elizabeth Cohen James Johnston Juergen Herre Karlheinz Brandenburg Lars Gaustad Mark Sandler Schuyler Quackenbush Stephen Pope Russell Mason Perfecto Herrera Josh Reiss Geoffroy Peeters Tim Collins Jens Blauert Emilia Gomez Bozena Kostek Chris Lacinak Michael Lee Dan Ellis Anibal Ferreira Laurent Daudet Jeroen Breebaart Oliver Hellmuth Esben Skovenborg Jean-Dominique Polack Eric Jacobs Luis Ortiz Berenguer Jay LeBoeuf Joern Loviscach Sebastian Streich Joachim Ganseman Bennett Kolasinski Kyogu Lee Charles van Winkle Arijit Biswas Bob Coover Gyorgy Fazekas Andrew Mason Christian Uhle Gautham Mysore Chris Baume Takuya Fujishima
To request membership in this Technical Committee please email the Chair by using the link above.