In This Section
- Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Advisory Group on Regulations
- Archiving Restoration and Digital Libraries
- Audio for Games
- Audio for Telecommunications
- Audio Forensics
- Audio Recording and Mastering Systems
- Automotive Audio
- Coding of Audio Signals
- Electro Magnetic Compatibility
- Fiber Optics for Audio
- Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
- High Resolution Audio
- Human Factors in Audio Systems
- Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Microphones and Applications
- Network Audio Systems
- Perception and Subjective Evaluation of Audio Signals
- Semantic Audio Analysis
- Signal Processing
- Sound for Digital Cinema and Television
- Spatial Audio
- Studio Practices and Production
- Transmission and Broadcasting
AES Technical Committee
Semantic Audio Analysis
Chair: Mark Sandler (Send E-mail) Vice Chair: Christian Uhle (Send E-mail)
This committee provides a forum in AES for researchers and innovators to come together and discuss and disseminate the newest developments in the automatic extraction of meaning from audio. The committee is interested in how to extract meaning from audio signals, how to represent it - typically as metadata - and how to use it.
This includes developments in Music Information Retrieval, Intelligent Audio Editing, and Semantic Web for Music.
If you are interested in working with the committee and especially if you would like to propose a workshop or tutorial at a future Convention, please contact one of the above.
Areas of Concentration
Audio feature detection & extraction Audio classification Audio segmentation Music understanding
Musical similarity Automatic music transcription Computational Auditory Scene Analysis Signal and source separation
Musical data mining Statistical audio modelling Audio indexing, hashing, searching Audio Markup and XML
Synthesis-driven audio coding MPEG7 Semantic web for music Music Web Services
Music Information Retrieval Intelligent editing and production Audio for Multimedia and Video Radio broadcast monitoring
Intelligent FX Intelligent Karaoke Music/Speech/Environment discrimination Environmental audio analysis
Digital Archiving and libraries Performance analysis (instrument tuition etc) Computational Musicology
- Semantic Analysis for Speech Signals - a workshop held at the AES 134th Convention in Rome. With Yves Raimond (BBC R&D, UK), Joern Loviscach (University of Applied Sciences Bielefeld, Germany), and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany).
- Semantic Audio Analysis in the Real World - a workshop held at the AES 132nd Convention in Budapest. Chaired by Andrew Mason (BBC R&D). Speakers: Andy Hill (I Like Music, UK), Mark Sandler (Queen Mary University of London, UK), Nigel Smith (BBC Audio and Music Interactive, UK), and Christian Uhle (Fraunhofer IIS, Germany)
- Intelligent Digital Audio Effects (I-DAFx) - a workshop held at the AES 126th Convention in Munich. Speakers were Udo Zoelzer of Helmut Schmidt University, Josh Reiss of Queen Mary's Centre for Digital Music, Alexander Lerch of zplane.development and Christian Uhle of Fraunhofer IIS. The slides are attached as a single zip-file.
- Analyzing, Recommending, and Searching Audio Content—Commercial Applications of Music Information Retrieval - a workshop held at the AES 125th Convention in San Francisco. Panelists included Markus Cremer (Gracenote), Matthias Gruhne (Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology), Tristan Jehan (The Echo Nest), Keyvan Mohajer (Melodis Corporation), and Jay LeBoeuf (Imagine Research).
- Intelligent audio systems: A review of the foundations and applications of semantic audio analysis and music information retrieval - a tutorial held at the AES 114th Convention in Munich. Presenters included: Perfecto Herrera-Boyer (Universitat Pompeu Fabra) and Jay LeBoeuf, Imagine Research.
- Music 2.0: Music and the Semantic Web - a workshop held at the 122nd Convention in Vienna. Speakers were: Scott Cohen of The Orchard, Mark Sandler and Yves Raimond of Queen Mary's Centre for Digital Music, Lucas Gonze of Yahoo!Music, and Oscar Celma of the Music Technology Group at Pompeu Fabra University. For more details see this website
- Audio Gets Smart - a workshop held at AES 115th Convention. Speakers were Dan Ellis of Columbia University, Michael Casey of City University and Juergen Herre of Fraunhoefer IIS. Talks may be downloaded from this website.
These documents do not necessarily express the official position of the AES on the issues discussed at these meetings, and only represent the views of committee members participating in the discussion. Any unauthorized use of these publications is prohibited. Authorization must be obtained from the Executive Director of the AES: E-mail, Tel: +1 212 661 8528, Address: 60 East 42nd Street, Room 2520, New York, New York 10165-2520, USA.
2013-5-9 Minutes AES134
Description: Minutes from TC SAA Meeting held at the AES 134rd Convention, Rome, May4 2013
2013-1-2 Minutes AES 133
Description: Minutes of the meeting of the SAA TC at the 133rd convention, New York
2010-11-16 TC Minutes from 129th AES TC SAA Meeting
Description: Minutes from 129th AES TC SAA Meeting
2009-5-27 Minutes from 126th Convention
Description: Minutes from meeting of TC-SAA at 126th Convention, Munich, May 2009
2008-10-10 Minutes from 125th Convention
Description: Minutes from 125th Convention
2008-9-29 124th Minutes
Description: Minutes from meeting of TC-SAA at 124th Convention, Amsterdam, May 2008
2006-11-20 Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 117st Convention
Description: Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 117st Convention
2006-11-20 Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 121st Convention
Description: Minutes of TC on Semantic Audio, 121st Convention
2004-7-14 Minutes of TC meeting, AES 116th
Description: Minutes of the meeting held on Sunday 9 May 2004
2003-12-3 Minutes of TC meeting 10 Oct 2003, 115th Convention
Description: minutes of tc meeting in new york, 115th aes
2003-6-26 Minutes of the First meeting of the AES TC on Semantic Audio Analysis
Description: Minutes of the inaugural meeting of the TC on SAA
2009-5-26 Intelligent Digital Audio Effects (I-DAFx)
Description: Intelligent Digital Audio Effects (I-DAFx) - a workshop held at the AES 126th Convention in Munich. Speakers were Udo Zoelzer of Helmut Schmidt University, Josh Reiss of Queen Mary's Centre for Digital Music, Alexander Lerch begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlighting of zplane.development and Christian Uhle of Fraunhofer IIS. The slides are attached as a single zip-file, as is done on the website of the TC on Audio Coding.
David Ackerman Elizabeth Cohen James Johnston Juergen Herre Karlheinz Brandenburg Lars Gaustad Mark Sandler Schuyler Quackenbush Stephen Pope Russell Mason Perfecto Herrera Josh Reiss Geoffroy Peeters Thorsten Heinz Tim Collins Jens Blauert Fabien Gouyon Emilia Gomez Bozena Kostek Chris Lacinak Michael Lee Dan Ellis Anibal Ferreira Laurent Daudet Jeroen Breebaart Oliver Hellmuth Vitor Soares Esben Skovenborg Jean-Dominique Polack Eric Jacobs Luis Ortiz Berenguer Jay LeBoeuf Joern Loviscach bee suan ong Sebastian Streich Joachim Ganseman Bennett Kolasinski Kyogu Lee Charles van Winkle Arijit Biswas Bob Coover Gyorgy Fazekas Andrew Mason Christian Uhle Gautham Mysore Chris Baume
To request membership in this Technical Committee please e-mail the Chair by using the link above.