In This Section
- Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Archiving Restoration and Digital Libraries
- Audio for Games
- Audio for Telecommunications
- Audio Forensics
- Automotive Audio
- Coding of Audio Signals
- Electro Magnetic Compatibility
- Fiber Optics for Audio
- Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
- High Resolution Audio
- Human Factors in Audio Systems
- Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Microphones and Applications
- Network Audio Systems
- Perception and Subjective Evaluation of Audio Signals
- Recording Technology and Practices
- Semantic Audio Analysis
- Signal Processing
- Sound for Digital Cinema and Television
- Spatial Audio
- Transmission and Broadcasting
AES Technical Committee
Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
Chair: Robert Schulein (Send Email) Vice Chair: Michael Santucci (Send Email) Vice Chair: Jan Voetmann (Send Email)
1. Raising AES member awareness of the normal and abnormal functions of the hearing process.
2. Raising AES member awareness of the risk and consequences of hearing loss resulting from excessive sound exposure.
3. Coordinating and providing technical guidance for the AES supported hearing testing and consultation programs at US and European Conventions.
4. Facilitating the maintenance and refinement of a database of audiometric test results and exposure information on AES members.
5. Forging a cooperative union between AES members, audio equipment manufacturers and the hearing the hearing conservation communities for purposes of developing strategies, technologies, and tools to reduce and prevent hearing loss.
Current Areas Of Work
- Organizing a 2nd International AES Conference on Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention. Anticipated Date: Late 2015 to early 2016
- Re-starting an program to provide hearing screening testing at AES Conventions in the US and Europe, on a permanent basis.
- Organize a Special issue of JAES on hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention topics.
Would you like to contribute?
If you are interested in participating in the committee's work please send an e-mail to the chair Robert Schulein. Please indicate in your e-mail that you are interested in the AESTC-HHLP. We welcome those interested in joining the committee to attend a future committee meeting. AES and non AES members are always welcome. Please Note: You do not have to be an AES member to join this committee, however you must be an AES member to serve as Chair or Vice-Chair of the committee. The committee communicates by means of an e-mail reflector site. This committee meets approximately evety 6 months at alternate European and US conventions.
Trends in Technologyechnology Trends
The AESTC on Hearing and Hearing Loss
Prevention was established in 2005 with
five initial goals focused on informing the
membership as to important aspects of the
hearing process and issues related to hearing
loss, so as to promote engineering based
solutions to improve hearing and
reduce hearing loss. Its aims include the
following: raising AES member awareness
of the normal and abnormal functions of
the hearing process; raising AES member
awareness of the risk and consequences of
hearing loss resulting from excessive sound
exposure; coordinating and providing technical
guidance for the AES-supported hearing
testing and consultation programs at
U.S. and European conventions; facilitating
the maintenance and refinement of a database
of audiometric test results and exposure
information on AES members; forging
a cooperative union between AES members,
audio equipment manufacturers, hearing
instrument manufacturers, and the hearing
conservation community for purposes of
developing strategies, technologies, and
tools to reduce and prevent hearing loss.
2015-4-16 Hearing loops - the preferred assistive listening technology
Description: Journal article from April 2015 on the benefits of hearing loops
Elizabeth Cohen Gordon Reid Ivan Stamac Jan Voetmann Peter Mapp Richard S Stroud Robert Schulein William L Martens Bozena Kostek Ian Kuhn Laurie Wells Michael Santucci Scott Snyder Brian Fligor Marilee Potthoff Jeff Schwartz Benjamin Kanters Jason Corey Preben Kvist Waldo Nogueira Lawrence Revit Pam Gunn Beno Groothoff Jeanne Stiernberg Neil Cherian Jon Boley Keith Gordon J M Woodgate Marshall Chasin Ainslie Harris John Usher Gonzalo J. Rodriguez Christopher Struck Omatali Beckett Vicki Silver Benjamin Mesiti Michiel Van Eeden Joseph Blasingame Anton Schlesinger Colin Bigland Stephen Ambrose John Dawson Jan van Doorn Zhong Xuan Kathy Peck Kristin Bidwell Tom Fritsch Retnaguru Sandrakasan Dorte Hammershoi Jaime Serquera
To request membership in this Technical Committee please email the Chair by using the link above.