In This Section
- Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Archiving Restoration and Digital Libraries
- Audio for Games
- Audio for Telecommunications
- Audio Forensics
- Automotive Audio
- Coding of Audio Signals
- Electro Magnetic Compatibility
- Fiber Optics for Audio
- Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
- High Resolution Audio
- Human Factors in Audio Systems
- Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Microphones and Applications
- Network Audio Systems
- Perception and Subjective Evaluation of Audio Signals
- Recording Technology and Practices
- Semantic Audio Analysis
- Signal Processing
- Sound for Digital Cinema and Television
- Spatial Audio
- Transmission and Broadcasting
AES Technical Committee
Fiber Optics for Audio
Chair: Ronald Ajemian (Send Email) Chair: Werner Bachmann (Send Email) Forum: Committee Discussion Forum
The committee addresses a variety of fiber optic technologies including recording, broadcast, test equipment, cables, connectors, and broadband telecom links of audio systems worldwide. The objectives will be to better understand fiber optic based technologies to allow the user or designer an easier transition for integration with existing electrical based audio systems. The committee will provide updated fiber optic advancements through this process and will disseminate this information.
Areas of Concentration
- Fiber Optic Cables usage and types (glass or plastic)
- Wavelength, Distance, singlemode versus multimode representation.
- Fiber Optic Connector usage and types
- Fiber Optic tools
- Fiber Optic system design and performance.
- Analogue and digital systems and circuitry.
- Fiber Network delivery of high-resolution audio.
- New fiber optic technologies
- Fiber Optic Microphones
- Fiber Optic link design
- Transceivers (SFP,etc.)
- Objective evaluation and subjective performance of fiber optic links
- Objective measurement techniques and resolution issues.
- Hybrid Fiber and Copper based systems
- Education and networking
- To inform and educate the membership about the important facts of fiber optics in audio technology and applications.
- To network with other Technical Committees in order to involve them in the study of fiber optics for audio.
AES 137th Convention, Los Angeles, CA USA
Technical Committee - Fiber Optics for Audio
Meeting: Date and Time (TBA)
The AES TC-FOA will meet and discuss the current usage of optical fiber types, connectors and transceivers, etc., pertaining to the new AES67 Standard on Interoperability. Which optical cables and connectors are currently being supported and used and which ones are not or becoming obsolete? This discussion will help the newly developed AES67 Standard employ fiber optics along with Ethernet based systems. We need to add an addendum to AES67 to give more meaning about fiber optic usage for these current trends. Be sure to look for the date and time on this webpage as well as the AES.org website for all meeting updates and information. Please send an email to either of the Chairs with your name, affiliation/company and expertise in using Fiber Optics for Audio to join AES-TC-FOA.
These documents do not necessarily express the official position of the AES on the issues discussed at these meetings, and only represent the views of committee members participating in the discussion. Any unauthorized use of these publications is prohibited. Authorization must be obtained from the Executive Director of the AES: Email, Tel: +1 212 661 8528, Address: 60 East 42nd Street, Room 2520, New York, New York 10165-2520, USA.
2013-10-21 2013-10-19 TC-FOA Meeting Minutes
Description: Minutes from TC-FOA on Saturday, October 19th, 2013 at the AES 135th Convention Javits Center, New York, NY USA
2012-10-29 2012-10-28 TC-FOA Meeting Minutes
Description: Minutes from TC-FOA on Sunday, October 28, 2012 at the AES 133rd Convention Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA USA
2011-10-23 2011-10-22 TC-FOA Meeting Minutes
Description: Minutes from TC-FOA on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at the AES 131st Convention Javits Center, New York, NY USA
2011-2-5 2009-10-09 TC-FOA Formative Meeting Minutes
Description: Minutes from TC on Friday, October 9, 2009 at the AES 127th Convention Javitz Center, New York, NY USA
C. Robin Caine Chris Gaunt Ronald Ajemian Jim Kaiser Umberto Zanghieri Rick Chinn Vene Garcia Werner Bachmann Norbert Nachbauer Marc Brunke Kenneth R Fause Robert Economaki Michael Poimboeuf Bill McQuaide Thomas Myers Brian O'Gallagher Christian Ganahl B. Morgan Martin Paul Polishuk Ittai Lavi Wil Oxford Warren Osse Frank Cunningham Larry Bryan Aditi Shirish Sam Skaf Thomas M. Chudyk Daniel Fonseca Fred Morgenstern Marco Piromalli Eddie Ajamian Stephen Lampen
To request membership in this Technical Committee please email the Chair by using the link above.