Posted On: 2017-11-6
Location: Steyning, West Sussex, England
We are looking to recruit a Transducer Engineer to be part of the R&D multidisciplinary team based in Steyning, West Sussex. The R&D team is responsible for the development of all B&W products, from headphones to active, wireless and passive loudspeakers. Under the supervision of the Transducer Team Leader, the Transducer Engineer will support the research and development activities by designing high performance components and transducers in collaboration with our product development team. The role responsibilities are centered around simulation work, electroacoustics, electronics and mechanical measurements with a strong emphasis on measured and perceived performance for the design validation and quality control.
Interfacing with the product development engineers, the Transducer Engineer will be directly responsible for the following technical duties:
- Dimensioning and Finite element simulation of transducer components or assemblies (electromagnetic, mechanical & acoustical), including costs and manufacturing feasibility
- Measurements of transducer & loudspeaker assemblies using the Klippel system and other systems currently available at B&W
- Document all above results, including the creation of working procedures and design guidelines
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvements of our measurement capabilities and facilities
- Train other engineers on the use of COMSOL templates and Apps
- Perform any other technical duties as assigned
- Support sample building and process engineering at the development and mass production stage
- Responsible (within the context of the transducer team) for the definition of power tests and production test setups for transducer and complete loudspeaker systems
- Provide ground support and training for the testing teams in production, including during pre-production phases (transducer reference selection, fault finding, measurement limit adjustments).
- Educated to Degree/Msc. Level or equivalent in acoustics, physics or electronic engineering.
- Understanding of underlining physical principles of electrodynamic transducers including non-linear distortion and rub & buzz
- Familiar with COMSOL finite element package (or equivalent)
- Working knowledge of Matlab programming language
- Working knowledge of lumped element parameter modelling software like LTspice, MicroCap, Akabak
- Working knowledge of the Klippel R&D system
- Understanding of the basic principle of sound radiation and room acoustics
- Ability to drive projects to completion
- Able to create and present test reports in a logical and accurate manner
- Working knowledge of Klippel QC system
- Working knowledge of a 3D design package like Solidworks, NX, Catia
- Familiarity with other audio and electronics testing equipment: Audio Precision, MLSSA, SoundCheck, Clio
- Familiar with DFMA, DFMEA, FMEA
We offer competitive rates of pay, discount on products, 25 days holiday per year, group pension plan, private health care and life insurance.
If you would like to apply, please send a covering letter and c.v to:
Please mention AES001088 when applying for this position.
B&W Group Ltd. was founded in 1966 and is based in Worthing, UK. They conduct research into acoustics and design, manufacture, and distribute loudspeaker systems for the domestic and professional markets. B&W Group companies also distribute Rotel, Classé, and i-Command brand products throughout Europe, North America, and China.