Posted On: 2017-7-17
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Reporting to: Director of Product Management
Based: Begbroke, Oxford
Conditions: Full Time, Salaried
At SSL a Product Manager is the product ‘owner’ and is responsible for a product, or products throughout the product lifecycle. This involves gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the market and how the product vision fits that market, while working closely with Business Development, Research and Development, Sales, Marketing and Support teams to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met. The Product Manager also works closely with the senior management team to ensure their products support the company's overall strategy and goals. The Product Manager is the company's authority on Live products and is the product champion driving growth targets, innovation and opportunities.
At SSL Product Managers lead the success of a product, or group of products within a specific market sector. This extends from managing the success of existing products, products currently in development, to developing new products for the company. Commercially responsible, the role requires a strategic and tactical thinker who can balance these requirements, and who follows best practices to make informed decisions.
The Product Manager specifies new products from existing ideas, and helps to develop new ideas based on market requirements/opportunities, customer needs, personal experience and global market feedback from all of our Sales and Distribution channels. To achieve these results, the role requires a blend of business and technical understanding, wider market vision, and requires the drive and enthusiasm to make that vision a reality. The role involves the creation of product specifications with high detail to ensure that development tasks are clearly defined. Time is also spent with customers, partners and distributors to understand specific and broad challenges, and find innovative solutions to these challenges that are both product development opportunities and new product ideas.
A ‘hands on’ position, the scope of the role also involves a wide variety of training, documentation and demonstration activities as an important part of the day-to-day activities. The role also works with SSL’s cross functional teams to define and execute product release requirements. A key component of this is working with Marketing to define launch and ongoing marketing strategies, helping understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customers.
● Managing the product life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities.
● Specifying requirements for current and future products using thorough market awareness supported by close working relationships with customers and prospects.
● Driving SSL’s New Product Introduction process as a key part of a project management team. Providing guidance and input to the cross-functional project team on customer expectations, market requirements, product offering, and positioning.
● Developing market research studies and surveys to aid shared understanding of sector landscapes.
● Writing specifications to provide clear aims and priorities for the development process.
● Liaison with Research and Development to ensure continuous innovation.
● Developing a company-wide ‘go-to-market’ plan for products, working with all departments to execute.
● Analysing potential partner relationships for product development and new product ideas.
● Support product launches and targeted marketing campaigns, including production of all copy and multimedia content.
● Attend international trade shows and support the technical aspects thereof.
● Management of Live Product Specialist and their activities.
● Ensuring the global internal teams responsible for selling our products are guided effectively.
● Develop programs and deliver webinars and training to educate internal staff, distributors, dealers, system integrators, contractors and end users on the products.
● Produce product guides and briefing documents which provide all the data required by Sales and Marketing to successfully position and promote the products.
● Curate and supervise technical product documentation.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
● 3+ years in a product management role, ideally relating to live audio mixing hardware and software.
● Excellent working knowledge of live sound, touring, house of worship and Install market requirements.
● Direct management of AoIP product development and/or audio networking solutions.
● Qualifications in electronic engineering, and/or software engineering.
● Solid technical education and trained in audio engineering principles.
● Current hardware/software development practices.
● Familiarity with A&E and tender specifications.
● Commercial responsibility of a large product portfolio.
● Experience of writing and implementing product documentation.
● An effective and well-balanced communicator at all levels.
● Exceptional at creative problem solving under pressure with strong evaluative skills.
● High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
● Technically astute, not only at understanding but also being able to articulate in verbal and written forms.
● Well-developed presentation skills, experience of presenting to small and large groups.
● Individual should be a self-starter, able to work proactively and enthuse others.
● Effective use of the Google, Microsoft and Adobe software suites.
● Ability to travel internationally, up to 20% of the time.
● Must hold a full clean driving license.
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Your covering letter should highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role and your motivation behind applying.
To apply for this position, you must already have the right to work in the UK.
Please mention AES001049 when applying for this position.
25 Springhill Road
Solid State Logic Ltd. is the world’s leading manufacturer of analog and digital audio consoles and provider of creative tools for broadcast, music, and postproduction professionals. SSL’s product range include digital broadcast consoles, broadcast audio routing and resource sharing systems, analog consoles with integral DAW control, outboard processors and I/O devices, DSP powered Plug-ins, software products, and the Gravity video asset management system.