In This Section
- AES Opens Early Registration and Discounted Pricing for 140th International Convention in Paris, June 4 – 7
- FREE "Exhibits-Plus" Badge and premium "All Access" Badge options now available online for Europe’s largest pro audio event of the year
- The Audio Engineering Society Launches AES Live Online Video Collection
- Exclusive videos featuring interviews with past, present and future leaders of our industry
- Binaural Listening Trends Tracked at 140th International Audio Engineering Society Convention
- An ever-expanding aspect of present-day audio
- Call for Board of Governors Nominations
- Deadline is February 15th
AES Historical Web Store: Oral History Project: Ray Dolby (069)
Please note that the DVD versions are region-free NTSC DVD-R discs but these should play on most DVD players worldwide. You can mix and match videos (in a single order) to receive the bulk pricing discount.
AES Oral History 069: Ray Dolby. While a college student, Ray Dolby played a key role in the design of the first successful professional video tape recorder at Ampex Corporation, introduced in 1956. After obtaining degrees at Stanford and Cambridge universities, plus a two-year appointment as a United Nations advisor in India, he returned to England in 1965 and established Dolby Laboratories to develop and manufacture professional audio tape noise reduction products, and later began the licensing of his noise reduction system for use in consumer products. In 1976 he moved his key staff to San Francisco, where his company set up a new home office, laboratories, and a manufacturing facility. He holds more than 50 US patents on videotape recording, long wavelength X-ray analysis, and audio tape noise reduction. Dr. Dolby is a Fellow and past President of the AES, and a recipient of its Silver and Gold Medal Awards. Along with many national and international awards and honors, he was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame and the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame in 2004. After more than four decades as a leader and steward of innovation and excellence, Dr. Dolby became his company’s Founder and Director Emeritus in December, 2010. Interviewed by John Eargle. Edited by Harry Hirsch.
NTSC DVD-R (43:36) Interview Date: 2000-09-22
View Video Trailer:
Buy This Video
Members: $15 / Non-members: $20 / Save $1 each for 10-19 videos or $2 each for 20+ videos!