In This Section
- Time to Vote: 2015 AES Elections
- Deadline is Friday, July 10th
- AES Continues European Growth with Highly Successful 138th Audio Engineering Society Convention in Warsaw, Poland
- First-ever AES Convention in Poland draws attendees and presenters from around the world
- First Book in "AES Presents" Series from Focal Press
- New edition of Handbook for Sound Engineers, edited by Glen Ballou
- 137th Audio Engineering Society Convention Breaks Records and Draws Acclaim from Attendees, Exhibitors and Presenters Alike
- Convention reminds West-Coast audio community, “If It’s About Audio, It’s At AES!”
AES Historical Web Store: Oral History Project: Ray Dolby (069)
Please note that the DVD versions are region-free NTSC DVD-R discs but these should play on most DVD players worldwide. You can mix and match videos (in a single order) to receive the bulk pricing discount.
AES Oral History 069: Ray Dolby. While a college student, Ray Dolby played a key role in the design of the first successful professional video tape recorder at Ampex Corporation, introduced in 1956. After obtaining degrees at Stanford and Cambridge universities, plus a two-year appointment as a United Nations advisor in India, he returned to England in 1965 and established Dolby Laboratories to develop and manufacture professional audio tape noise reduction products, and later began the licensing of his noise reduction system for use in consumer products. In 1976 he moved his key staff to San Francisco, where his company set up a new home office, laboratories, and a manufacturing facility. He holds more than 50 US patents on videotape recording, long wavelength X-ray analysis, and audio tape noise reduction. Dr. Dolby is a Fellow and past President of the AES, and a recipient of its Silver and Gold Medal Awards. Along with many national and international awards and honors, he was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame and the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame in 2004. After more than four decades as a leader and steward of innovation and excellence, Dr. Dolby became his company’s Founder and Director Emeritus in December, 2010. Interviewed by John Eargle. Edited by Harry Hirsch.
NTSC DVD-R (43:36) Interview Date: 2000-09-22
View Video Trailer:
Buy This Video
Members: $15 / Non-members: $20 / Save $1 each for 10-19 videos or $2 each for 20+ videos!