In This Section
- 135th AES Convention Hits A Five-Year High
- Convention takes a bite out of the Big Apple and reminds the industry that “If It’s About Audio, It’s At AES”
- AES 2013 Election Results
- The results are in!
- Time to Vote: 2013 AES Elections
- Deadline is Friday, July 12th
- Recordings from AES Rome Jazz Concert Now Available
- Listen to the Greg Burk Jazz Trio in ImmersAV
AES Historical Web Store: Oral History Project: David Blackmer (008)
Please note that the DVD versions are region-free NTSC DVD-R discs but these should play on most DVD players worldwide. You can mix and match videos (in a single order) to receive the bulk pricing discount. Certain titles are also available as downloadable MPEG-4 video files.
AES Oral History 008: David Blackmer. (1927-2002) David Blackmer founded dbx, Inc. in 1971 to produce his famous dbx expansion-compression noise reduction products. His high-performance VCAs and RMS detectors were used in many automated consoles. He also was a pioneer in reducing distortion and extending frequency response of analog electronics. He studied electronics in the US Navy, Harvard University, and MIT. Blackmer's career included work at Trans-Radio Recording Studio, Epsco, Hi-Con Eastern, Raytheon and the Mercury space program. Blackmer's lifelong passion was to improve the quality of audio equipment until it approached the sound of the original. Blackmer was made an AES fellow in 1976. Interviewed by Irv Joel. Edited by Harry Hirsch.
NTSC DVD-R (30:11) Interview Date: 1999-09-25
View Video Trailer:
Buy This Video
Members: $15 / Non-members: $20 / Save $1 each for 10-19 videos or $2 each for 20+ videos!