In This Section
- New "AES Portal" in Process of Being Rolled Out
- Take a moment to create your new Login today!
- AES 2016 Election Results Announced
- The AES has released the list of winning candidates from the balloting in the 2016 Audio Engineering Society international elections
- AES Opens Early Registration & Housing Options for AES Los Angeles, September 29 — October 2
- Use promo code AES141WEB at checkout for FREE Exhibit-Plus badge
- Research Finds Audible Differences with High-Resolution Audio
- Listeners can hear a difference between standard audio and better-than-CD quality, known as high-resolution audio
AES Historical Web Store: Oral History Project: Oral History DVD: David Blackmer (008)
Please note that the DVD versions are region-free NTSC DVD-R discs but these should play on most DVD players worldwide. You can mix and match videos (in a single order) to receive the bulk pricing discount.
Oral History DVD: David Blackmer
AES Oral History 008: David Blackmer. (1927-2002) David Blackmer founded dbx, Inc. in 1971 to produce his famous dbx expansion-compression noise reduction products. His high-performance VCAs and RMS detectors were used in many automated consoles. He also was a pioneer in reducing distortion and extending frequency response of analog electronics. He studied electronics in the US Navy, Harvard University, and MIT. Blackmer's career included work at Trans-Radio Recording Studio, Epsco, Hi-Con Eastern, Raytheon and the Mercury space program. Blackmer's lifelong passion was to improve the quality of audio equipment until it approached the sound of the original. Blackmer was made an AES fellow in 1976. Interviewed by Irv Joel. Edited by Harry Hirsch.
NTSC DVD-R (30:11) Interview Date: 1999-09-25
View Video Trailer:
Buy This Video
Members: $15 / Non-members: $20 / Save $1 each for 10-19 videos or $2 each for 20+ videos!