In This Section
- Networks - High-performance streaming audio-over-IP interoperability; AES67-xxxx DRAFT REVISION proposed for comment
- Universal jack for 6,35 mm plugs; AES-14id-2010 proposed for reaffirmation
- Measurement of digital audio equipment; AES17 draft revision proposed for comment
- Spatial acoustic data file format; AES69-2015 published
MAY 2002 MEETING OF SC-03-02
Report of the SC-03-02 Working Group on Transfer Technologies of the SC-03 Subcommittee on the Preservation and Restoration of Audio Recording meeting, held in conjunction with the AES 112th Convention in Munich, Germany 2002-05-12.
In the absence of the chair and vice chairs, the meeting was convened by D Schueller.
The agenda and report from the previous meeting were accepted as written.
AES-X47 Minimum Set of Calibration Tones for Archival Transfer D Wickstrom published a working group draft in January with certain questions, none have been commented on by the group. Current goal: PWD by 2002-09
AES-X64 Test Methods and Materials for Archival Mechanical Media The intent of the project is to re-press a metal master originating in the EMI factory, which complies to the IEC-98 standard for coarse groove recordings with bands of frequencies starting with a 1 kHz reference level signal and then in decreasing steps. (18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 kHz, 700, 400, 200, 110, 50, 30 Hz)
It is further our intent to cut and press another test disk. The specifications for this second disc are:
- A sinusoidal sweep from 20 Hz to 20kHz with constant velocity above 250 Hz. This would start with a 1kHz tone and take 50 seconds for the sweep so allowing the use of the standard Bruel & Kjaer test equipment.
- A band of 1 kHz at a reference level: 8cm/sec 20mm light band width as used on Ortofon Test Record OR1001.
- A band of 1 kHz at a reference level: 16cm/sec post war standard (Din45533 1953)
- A repeat of the track 1 sweep. This would be cut at a smaller diameter so that the effect of playback tracing losses for a particular stylus/arm combination could be measured.
The working group will produce a PWD describing these test materials with the intent to publish a call for comment.
AES-X65 Rosetta Tone for Transfer of Historical Mechanical Media The current goal is review of status. This has been on the agenda since 1997, and yet no progress has been made since George Brock-Nannestad posted his paper in July 1998. Unless proposals on the contents of such a Rosetta Tone are put forward for discussion, the meeting felt that the project should be withdrawn.
AES-X90 Analog Transfer of Audio Program Material There has been no communication on this project. Unless a dedicated working chair for Task Group SC-03-02-A can be nominated, the meeting recommends that the project should be withdrawn.
AES-X106 Styli shape and size for transfer of records George Brock-Nannestad and Franz Lechleitner have said they will provide input for the PTD.
AES-X107 Compilation of technical archives for mechanical media There has been no inputs on this project, but relevant liason bodies has been contacted describing the project and asked to show interest in cooperating on putting together such a reference document.
New projects No new projects were received or proposed
New business There was no new business
The next meeting will be held in conjunction with the AES 113th Convention to be held in Los Angeles, CA, US, on 3-8 October, 2002