Meeting Topic: Consulting on funding and events attendance issues
Meeting Location: Department of TFTV/111, University of York, York
Audio Engineering Society York Student Section Committee - Minute
Thursday 17th May 2018 at 11.30, TFTV/111
Claudia Nader Jaime (CNJ — Chair) Dr Mariana Lopez (MJL - AES UK Chair)
Haruna Higa (HH — Vice Chair)
Molly Sewell (MS — minutes)
Chris Kurtz (CK — Treasurer)
Previous Matters Arising:
07/05-1 Social Media Committee Member — we discussed the possible need for a committee member to deal solely with social media content for the AESYSS.
07/05-2 AESYSS Campaign Funding — CK has written a proposal for event/guest speaker funding. TO be sent to academic departments and local audio companies (e.g. Focusrite).
07/05-3 Amplify Her — MJL said we may be able to get funding to screen Amplify Her. Must not be in induction/welcome week/Int. Women's Day/at a time where we would
be competing with other events. CNJ suggested having a DJ at the event to make it a bit more of a social event: MJL said it would be best to have a female DJ (MS to find DJ). MJL said using a ticket service (e.g. Eventbrite) boosts attendance (CNJ to set this up). Wait until September to begin email departments about help or funding.
Action: CNJ, HH, MS
07/05-4 Event: Equipment Demos and Department Tours — this suggested event will no longer take place.
17/05-1 Lack of interest in our events - All expressed concern for the lack of interest in attendance following the poorly attended Darryn de la Soul event. HH suggested creating a survey for AES student members asking them what kind of things they would like to see from us, setting up an Eventbrite account for tickets, setting up a 'speed dating' for people who need crew (and prospective crew members) and creating a Facebook group (not page) for members. MJL said it's common to have low attendance and there isn't much more we could be doing.
17/05-2 Funding for Recording Competitions
Securing money for students who enter the AES recording competition. First place will cover transport, accommodation and entry to the competition.
Date of Next Meeting
On or after Wednesday 6th June.
Written By: Molly Sewell