SC-02-12 meeting, Online, 2023-10

Report of the meeting of the SC-02-12 Working Group on Audio Applications of Networks of the SC-02 Subcommittee on Digital Audio, held online in connection with the 155th Convention, 2023-10-13.

The meeting was convened by chair Morten Lave.

The formal notice on patent policy was read.

The report of the previous meeting, held online, in connection with the 153th Convention, 2023-05-04, was approved as written.

The agenda was approved as posted.

In attendence were Morten Lave, Richard Cabot, Junichi Yoshio, Kent Terry, Andreas Hildebrand, Paul Treleaven, John Grant, Jeff Berryman, SAndy Rosen, Gints Linis, Jim Meyer, David Andrews, Hatano Wataru, Ievgen Kostiukevych.

Projects assigned to this group but not mentioned here had no action requested or required - see for details.

Open Projects:

AES67-R - Review of AES67-2018 , AES standard for audio applications of networks - High-performance streaming audio-over-IP interoperability

The revision is in the final stages. At this point it is cleaning up the specification. Some of the work that has been completed is:
- Conform to 2110, added clarifications.
- Updated all references, some were out of sync and hadn’t been updated since 2013.
- Offensive language updates.
- Update of definitions

The group has weekly meetings every Monday scheduled until end of November and the intention is to finish the clean up here.

The draft revision must pass SC 02-12 approval (1 week asking for objections) to fulfill the review requirement. This is a realistic target and the backup is to reaffirm the current revision but that is unlikely to be required.

AES70-1-R Review of AES70-1-2018: AES standard for audio applications of networks - Open Control Architecture - Part 1: Framework

AES70-2-R Review of AES70-2-2018: AES standard for audio applications of networks - Open Control Architecture - Part 2: Class structure

AES70-3-R Review of AES70-3-2018: AES standard for audio applications of networks - Open Control Architecture - Part 3: Protocol for TCP/IP networks

All 3 documents were published for public comment on November 28, 2023. The project status will be updated to reflect this.

A new project under the AES70 umbrella will soon be initiated. It specifies a JSON version of the protocol and will likely result in a standard named AES70-4.

AES71-R AES Recommended Practice: Loudness Guidelines for Over the Top Television and Online Video Distribution

As this standard is up for review the process to reaffirm will be started.

AES74-R Review of AES74-2019 AES standard for audio applications of networks -
Requirements for Media Network Directories and Directory Services

No actions, review at next meeting.

AES77-R Loudness Guidelines for Internet Audio Streaming and On-Demand Distribution

This standard has been published as AES77-2023 since last meeting.

AES-X242 Streaming audio metadata over IP

AES-X242 is targeted to normatively reference SMPTE ST 2110-41 which has been in development. The effort has been gated by SMPTE so far, but the SMPTE work on ST 2110-41 has progressed and is anticipated to be ready for publication by early 2024 allowing work on AES-X242 to move forward.

Unfortunately, Dolby will no longer be supporting this effort so the leader (Kent Terry) may not be able to continue much longer. He will try to gauge the interest in the task group and see if there is a way to carry the work forward.

AES-X243 Audio applications of networks - Using AES70 for managing AES67 and SMPTEST 2110-30 media stream connections

There has been steady progress. The draft is in an advanced state and is expected to be out for comments within a few months. It will be published as AES70-21.

AES-X252 AES70 Milan Adaptation

Since the last meeting the draft from the OCA Alliance had been passed on to SC 02-12L.

There has been steady progress. The draft is in an advanced state and is expected to be out for comments within a few months. It will be published as AES70-22.

AES-X257 Using AES70 to manage Audinate Dante® media transport

High level design brief is being developed within the OCA Alliance. This one will have most work done within the AES group (SC 02-12L) based on the design brief from the OCA Alliance. This structure will enable Audinate to participate in the process as they wouldn’t be able to do that in the OCA Alliance.


Liaison with MPEG (John Grant)

Nothing to report.

Liaison with ETSI (John Grant)

Not a lot more since last meeting. Nothing to report.

Liaison with TC100 (John Grant)

Nothing to report.

Liaison with ST 2059 (SMPTE) (Use of PTP for professional media sync.) (Paul Treleaven)

The 2019 revision of IEEE1588 changes the way TLV’s are transported. As SMPTE use TLV’s for logging of time code, some work is required to make sure that support for both the old and the new method is supported.

Liaison with ST 2010 (SMPTE) (Paul Treleaven)

2010-30 has been revised, the changes are minor, out for ballot now.

Liaison with ST12 (SMPTE) (Andy Rosen)

Work on relating UTC to time code is soon to result in ST12-4. A final committee draft is expected shortly after the SMPTE summit meeting next week.

Liaison with Avnu ProAV (Morten Lave)

Nothing to report

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be scheduled in conjunction with the AES 156th Convention in May 2024, it will be virtual. Standards meetings will likely be scheduled the week before the actual show.

AES - Audio Engineering Society