SC-03-06 meeting, Online, 2020-10

Report of the meeting of the SC-03-06 Working Group on Digital Library and Archive Systems, held online, 2021-05-13.

Chair Nadja Wallaszkovits called the meeting to order.

The formal notice on patent policy was read.

The agenda was approved as written.

There were no comments on the report of the previous meeting, held online, 2020-10-06.

In attendence were Richard Cabot, Gordon Reid, Nadja Wallaszkovits, Brad McCoy, Toby Seay, David M. Andrews, Jonathan Broyles, Paul Treleaven.

Projects assigned to this group but not mentioned here had no action requested or required - see for details.

Open Projects:

AES-X120 Liaison with International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives IASA
Nadja and Toby have contacted IASA TC Chair and the Board members, and the reaction from IASA was basically very positive. Nevertheless, the topic is sensitive, as TC04 is the most important IASA Publication and the details of cooperation are still to be defined. It was discussed, that our working group should focus on parts from the music industry /production side, as this is something not covered within IASA.

It was discussed, that the main missing topics in IASA TC 04 are:

  • Multichannel
  • Noise reduction
  • Surround
  • Immersive
It is necessary to include references from AES Standards (e.g. AES6 on W&F measurement), revise specifications given in TC04 to actual measuring tools, equipment and reference discs/ tapes/ media in general. Discussion of a recommendation of test procedures, test media, etc.

The input from AES SC-03-06 on the Chapters on preservation target formats, metadata of IASA TC04.Main chapter to be revised in TC04: chapter 5

Possible forms of cooperation: decoupling this chapter as a joint publication. Other ideas to be discussed with IASA in a joint meeting.

Action items:
  • Approach IASA again and organize a joint meeting with IASA TC Chair and representatives
  • Provide a first draft document (Nadja to start with an outline – deadline: next meeting)
  • Upload document to the SC Folder, including TC04. The weblink to the online document was already provided in the meeting.
  • Find a mode of cooperation


Nadja reported on the last meetings with the AES SC-03-12 Working Group on Forensic Audio about the handling and storage of sound recordings. The group did not express actual urgent needs concerning their X253 Collection Guidelines for Forensic Audio, as they have to consolidate their work first; meetings will be attended by members and the chair of our group, to keep in discussion about their needs.

We should coordinate with the SC-02-01 Digital Measurement Standards group on project AES-X217.

Liaison with Metadata group AES SC-07 is also necessary, members and chair of our group to stay in contact.

Toby will provide information about how the cooperation with NARAS on a joint document has worked in practice and formally.

New projects

No new projects were proposed.

New business

No new business was raised.

The next meeting will be scheduled in conjunction with the AES 151st Convention, to be held online in October 2021.

AES - Audio Engineering Society