Job Title: Acoustic Development Engineer - Automotive
Company: Bowers & Wilkins
Technical Committees: Automotive Audio, Loudspeakers and Headphones
Standards Committees: SC-02-02 (Digital Input/Output Interfacing), SC-02-02-K (Multichannel audio in AES3, X196), SC-02-08 (Audio File Transfer and Exchange), SC-02-08-E (X212 HRTF file format), SC-04-03 (Loudspeaker Modeling and Measurement), SC-04-04 (Microphone Measurement and Characterization), SC-04-04-E (Microphone comparisons), SC-04-08 (Sound systems in rooms), SC-05-02 (Audio Connectors)
Primary Section: U.K.
Company Website: https://www.bowerswilkins.com
Other Professional Website: http://www.isvr.soton.ac.uk
Contact: Hessam Alavi
LinkedIn Address: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hessam101/
Dr Hessam Alavi is currently working as an Acoustic Development Engineer- Automotive at Bowers & Wilkins. Before that Hessam worked as a Specialist Audio Systems Engineer with the Connected Car & Infotainment group, part of the Vehicle Engineering division at Jaguar Land Rover. Hessam Alavi graduated in Acoustical Engineering BEng (Hons) from the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR) at the University of Southampton in 2009. He was awarded his PhD for a thesis on Acoustics of High-Performance Transmission-Line Loudspeakers in 2016 which was carried out in the Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics Group of the ISVR. In parallel with his postgraduate research work at the University of Southampton, Hessam held the position of Lead Product Developer and Acoustic Research Engineer at OPSODIS Ltd from 2009 to 2017 focusing on new auralization techniques, researching and developing extensively 3D sound loudspeaker systems. Dr Alavi is a member of the Institute of Acoustics (MIOA), the Acoustical Society of America (MASA) and the Audio Engineering Society (MAES). Dr Alavi is an active member of the AES Technical Committee for Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement, Loudspeakers and Headphones, Automotive Audio, and Spatial Audio. Dr Alavi is an Active member of AES Standard Committee.
Hessam Alavi has personal research interests in the fields of signal processing, fluid dynamics, vibrations and acoustics, with a specific focus on spatial hearing and new auralization techniques, music reproduction, 3D sound loudspeaker systems and the multichannel signal processing techniques for the production of virtual acoustic environments.
- PhD in Engineering Acoustics University of Southampton, ISVR
- BEng (Hons) in Acoustical Engineering University of Southampton, ISVR
- Acoustic Development Engineer - Automotive at Bowers & Wilkins.
- Specialist Audio Systems and Acoustics Research Engineer working with Connected Cars & Infotainment division as a part of Vehicle Engineering at Jaguar Land Rover from 2017 to February 2019.
- Lead Product Developer and Acoustic Research Engineer at OPSODIS Ltd. from 2009 to 2016.
- Principal Research Engineer at the University of Southampton, ISVR from 2009 to 2016.
- Postgraduate Teaching Assistant working for the Faculty of Engineering and Environment (FEE) at the University of Southampton, ISVR from 2009 to 2012.
- Coordinator of Virtual Acoustics and Audio Engineering Group working within the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR) at the University of Southampton, ISVR from 2009 to 2012.
- Postgraduate Representative of Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics Group for the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR) at the University of Southampton, ISVR from 2009 to 2013.
I am an experienced Audio Systems Engineer with a specific focus on Acoustics and Signal Processing with a background of working in the automotive and aviation sectors. A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Engineering Sound and Vibration from the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, with a strong art and design background. I would like to join the international group of Audio professionals in AES to be connected with the latest developments in the field.
Lennox Wood Southwater Business Park
RH13 9JJ Southwater
If you are an AES member and would like to create your own AES member profile like this one then click here.