Job Title: Educator, Researcher & Freelance Recording Engineer
Company: University of Indianapolis
AES Committees: Committee Chairs, Convention Policy, Education, Publications Policy
Primary Section: Indiana
Company Website: https://www.uindy.edu/cas/music/music-technology-and-recording
Other Professional Website: http://www.BLPaudio.com
LinkedIn Address: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brettleonardaudio
Dr. Brett Leonard is an audio educator, researcher, and freelance engineer. Currently, he serves as the director of the music technology program at the University of Indianapolis. Brett has also worked on recording projects ranging from classical and jazz to pop-rock, including projects with artist such as Matt Haimovitz, Lenny Pickett, and Bob Belden, and currently serves as chief engineer for the Chelsea Music Festival in New York. Dr. Leonard's research focuses on spatial audio and acoustics, including collaborations with Sennheiser, NHK, and Skywalker Sound. He is active in the Audio Engineering Society, both as an author and as a committee member in the Indiana Section. Dr. Leonard is an alumnus of California Lutheran University and New York University, and holds a PhD in Sound Recording from McGill University.
BA in Music - California Lutheran University '06
MM in Music Technology - New York University '08
PhD in Sound Recording - McGill University '16
• University of Indianapolis, Assistant Professor & Director of Music Technology Programs 2019 - present
• The Chelsea Music Festival - Chief recording engineer 2013-present
• BLPaudio - Owner, engineer, consultant 2007-present
• University of Nebraska at Omaha, Assistant professor & Coordinator of music technology 2014-2016
• McGill University's Schulich School of Music - Lecturer, sound recording area 2010-2014
• Recording Arts Canada - Lecturer 2009-2013
The AES has been a part of my continuing education and career development since meeting AES Fellow Ron Streicher at the Aspen Music Festival. Realizing how much there is in the audio field and finding the resources to learn are what the AES is all about!
If you are an AES member and would like to create your own AES member profile like this one then click here.