SC-02-12 meeting report, Dublin, 2019-3

Report of the meeting of the SC-02-12 Working Group on Audio Applications of Networks, held in Dublin, Ireland, 2019-03-22.

The meeting was convened by chair Morten Lave.

The report of the previous meeting, held in New York, USA, 2018-10-18, was approved as written.

The formal notice on patent policy was read.

The agenda was approved with the addition of update on a new TC100 proposal (John Woodgate)

In attendence were Paul Treleaven, Gints Linis, Junichi Yoshio, Hedd Morfett-Jones, Richard Cabot, Bruce Olson, John Woodgate, Terry Holton, Morten Lave, Kent Terry, Ian Dennis, Jeff Berryman*, Kevin Gross*, John Grant*, Andreas Hildebrand*, Anthony Kuzub*, Stephen Scott* (* denotes by electronic link)

Projects assigned to this group but not mentioned here had no action requested or required - see for details.

Open Projects:

AES67-R - Review of AES67-2018 , AES standard for audio applications of networks - High-performance streaming audio-over-IP interoperability
The current revision was published in April.
Discussions are ongoing about proposals for the next revision but there are no proposals ready at this point. An action item is to create a list of proposals.

AES70-1-R Review of AES70-1-2018: AES standard for audio applications of networks - Open Control Architecture - Part 1: Framework

AES70-2-R Review of AES70-2-2018: AES standard for audio applications of networks - Open Control Architecture - Part 2: Class structure

AES70-3-R Review of AES70-3-2018: AES standard for audio applications of networks - Open Control Architecture - Part 3: Protocol for TCP/IP networks
The groups current project is X243. The revision was published earlier in the year but an issue has arisen which requires an amendment. The amendment is in relation to the data structure and will require a withdrawal of a small part of OCA Task.

AES-X238 Media network directory architecture
Received comments from Swedish Radio (specific) and SMPTE (general). The group will start having bi-weekly meetings starting April 5 with the target to create a report which will complete the task assigned to the group.

AES-X242 Streaming audio metadata over IP
The SC-02-12-R group has held bi-weekly calls since October 2018, with several regular participants, and has made significant progress on the draft of AES-X242. The group is on track to complete a first draft in the next few weeks and move to implementation phase during next 6 months. A liaison copy of the draft publication of SMPTE ST 2109 was obtained from SMPTE for reference in developing AES-X242.
Initial work has started within SMPTE on the FMX "Fast Metadata" project. While the FMX project has a broader scope, there is considerable overlap in goals between that project and the AES-X242 project. The SC-02-12-R chair has been assigned as an AES rapporteur to the SMPTE 32NF60 SVIP group working on FMX. An presentation on the AES-X242 project was given to the SVIP group in February, and direct discussions have been held with the proponents of the FMX project. There was general agreement on the desire for AES-X242 to be compatible with the SMPTE ST 2110 suite, and not in direct conflict with the FMX specifications, and it was felt that this can be achieved with mutual cooperation.

AES-X243 AES70 Recommended Practice for AES67 Connection Management
The name of the project has been changed to ���Using AES70 connection management for AES67��� and is now assigned to SC-02-12-L.
The original format of the proposal was too verbose and included basic AES70 tutorial information. The group is revising the document to be shorter and more concise. The revision is in progress but is time consuming.


Liaison with Avnu ProAV AVTP
Morten Lave reported that the AVB Pro-Audio interoperability specifications (known as Milan) have been approved together with test specifications for Milan compliance.

Liaison with MPEG
Nothing to report.

Liaison with IEC62379-1
Nothing to report.

Liaison with mobile
John Grant reported on activity in 5G. There is currently a focus on reducing header sizes to preserve bandwidth.

Liaison with SMPTE
Paul Treleven reported that the two parts of ST 2059 (Use of PTP for professional media sync) are up for their 1 year review.
One of the issues is alignment between various video standards and adding new ones. The DARS classes are being removed due to the fact that when using PTP the frequency precision is not sufficient.

New Business:

New business.

Liaison with TC100 TA20
John Woodgate reported that a new proposal was received in regards to vibro-technical signals. These must be identified in order to not be sent by audio amplifiers. The group will discuss in TA20 in May.

Next Meeting
The next meeting will be scheduled in conjunction with the AES 147th Convention, to be held October 2019 in New York, USA.

AES - Audio Engineering Society