SC-02-12 meeting, New York, NY, 2018-10

Report of the meeting of the SC-02-12 Working Group on Audio Applications of Networks of the SC-02 Subcommittee on Digital Audio, held in New York, NY, 2018-10-18.

The meeting was convened by chair Morten Lave.

The report of the previous meeting, held in Milan, Italy, 2018-05-23, was approved as written.

The formal notice on patent policy was read.

The agenda was approved.

In attendence were S Jongs, J Berryman, P Treleaven, T Holton, K Gross, R Cabot, A Rosen*, J Grant*, P Stevens*, S Scott* (* denotes by electronic link) Projects assigned to this group but not mentioned here had no action requested or required - see for details.

Open Projects:

AES67-R - Review of AES67-2015 High-performance streaming audio-over-IP interoperability
Currently working on a summary of the PICS and other interoperability issues. A summary is being written.
The task group is liaising with SMPTE to include SMPTE 2059 interoperability.
There are a number of other tasks open but no progress to report on those at this point in time.
The support of AES3 over RTP was discussed. When a video stream with embedded AES3 audio is de-multiplexed there is a need for sending the AES3 audio streams transparently over RTP. This part is required to be done in the SMPTE group.
Redundancy and SMPTE 2022-7 was discussed. It was noted that any principle used for Video over RTP can be applied to any RTP such as audio (i.e. AES67).

AES70-1-R Review of AES70-1-2015: AES standard for audio applications of networks (framework)

AES70-2-R Review of AES70-2-2015: AES standard for audio applications of networks (class structure)

AES70-3-R Review of AES70-3-2015: AES standard for audio applications of networks (TCP/IP networks)
A revision is out for public comment. Comment period ends November 7. No comments have been received to date.

AES-X226 AES67 protocol implementation
To be marked as completed.

AES-R16 AES Standards Report - PTP parameters for AES67 and SMPTE ST 2059-2 interoperability
This report will be marked as completed.

AES-X238 Media network directory architecture
A call for comment was published a long time ago. Comments have been received from Swedish radio and SMPTE. The group discussed them this week. Neither comment raised any complex issues. Another conference call will be held to review any changes.
The next step is to create an AES information document with a set of requirement statements for media network directory services. It will be published and distributed when done.
SMPTE is in the progress of creating a document on this which is along the same lines. J Berryman will probably chair that group. It's not clear how quickly that will converge.

AES-X242 Streaming audio metadata over IP
The SC-02-12-R group held several calls until March 2018 and it was agreed to hold further calls until the AES-X242 draft was more fully completed. Calls have been on hold since March due to work on SMPTE standards related to the AES-X242 proposal. The group held a face to face meeting on Oct 18 with a goal of restarting work on the draft. The status of the draft and the related SMPTE work was discussed, and the group's plan is to restart regular calls in November 2018. There was discussion of liaison with other AES groups that AES-X242 affects, but it was felt premature to include them until the AES-X242 draft is more complete. A liaison with SMPTE may be requested in the near future for reference documents and work items of mutual interest.

The group would benefit greatly from increased participation and active work on the AES-X242 draft and implementations of the proposed draft to guide requirements. With active participation the group believes considerable progress can be made in the next 6 months.

X243 ��� project to produce a recommended practice, Using AES70 for connecting AES67 streams.
This will be done in SC-02-12-L and reviewed in this group. It is based on an OCA alliance finished document. There will be stylistic changes but no material changes. The goal is to publish it with AES70-2018, maybe a bit later.

AES-X244 Loudness Guidelines for Over the Top Television and Online Video Distribution
Nothing to report.


Liaison with Avnu ProAV AVTP
Morten Lave

New interoperability spec. for AVB in ProAV named Milan is moving forward, continued work on compliance testing etc.

Liaison with MPEG
John Grant

Nothing to report.

Liaison with IEC62379-1
Peter Stevens

Nothing to report.

Liaison with mobile
John Grant

re 5G work: There will be more info in Dublin on how fast the adoption of low latency options will happen.
The focus currently is on:
1. Faster browsing on one side
2. Machine generated information IoT, more efficient protocols
3. Ultra reliable low latency for tactile, autonomous vehicles. Remote surgery, emergency communication.

ST 2059 (Use of PTP for professional media sync.)
Kevin Gross, Paul Trevelesen

Both parts 1 and 2 are in revision.
Clock classes are being reviewed. We need to start liaising with them. Revisions should be out sometime next year.

AES-X075 Liaison with IEC TC100 for IEC 61883
Nothing to report.

New Business:

Media Network Layers
J Berryman gave a presentation on media network layers.
He will soon propose a new project to create a profile for constructing system API���s.
This will be a new project, probably not under SC-02-12-L, and should be done in close cooperation with SMPTE.
The elements of the new work are:
- The definition of the two-layer architecture, and
- A definition of the additions to AES70, and
- The definition of required services.

Next Meeting
The next meeting will be scheduled in conjunction with the AES 146th Convention, to be held March 2019 in Dublin, Ireland.

AES - Audio Engineering Society