In This Section
- Acoustics and Sound Reinforcement
- Archiving Restoration and Digital Libraries
- Audio for Games
- Audio for Telecommunications
- Audio Forensics
- Automotive Audio
- Coding of Audio Signals
- Electro Magnetic Compatibility
- Fiber Optics for Audio
- Hearing and Hearing Loss Prevention
- High Resolution Audio
- Human Factors in Audio Systems
- Loudspeakers and Headphones
- Microphones and Applications
- Network Audio Systems
- Perception and Subjective Evaluation of Audio Signals
- Recording Technology and Practices
- Semantic Audio Analysis
- Signal Processing
- Sound for Digital Cinema and Television
- Spatial Audio
- Transmission and Broadcasting
AES Technical Committee
Electro Magnetic Compatibility
Chair: Bill Whitlock (Send Email) Chair: J M Woodgate (Send Email)
Raise the level of awareness of, and expertise in, EMC and System
Interconnection issues throughout the professional audio community.
Contribute to the planning and execution of workshops, papers sessions,
master classes, and tutorial lectures at AES conventions and meetings of
local chapters that address EMC and system interconnection.
Prepare tutorial materials on EMC and system interconnection for publication
by the AES Technical Council.
Provide support to the AES Standards Committee on matters relating to EMC and
Areas of Concentration
- Power distribution for audio systems
- Grounding for audio systems
- Fundamentals of interconnection of audio systems
- Mechanisms by which noise and radio frequency interference (RFI) are coupled into audio systems
- Design techniques for products and systems to avoid the coupling of noise and RFI
- Techniques for the suppression of noise and interference in legacy products and systems
- A catalog of common interference sources and other threats to signal integrity, including the technical characteristics of each, the coupling mechanisms likely to be involved, practical suppression measures, and an on-line database of their typical sonic signatures
AES Technical Committee on EMC
137th AES Convention, Los Angeles CA USA
Location: Conference Centre
Date of Meeting:9 October 2014
Time: 10.00 to 11.00
Date of these minutes: 19 October 2014
Prepared by: Bill Whitlock and John Woodgate
1. In attendance:
Not recorded: in spite of advance publicity only three people attended apart from co-chair Woodgate and one only wanted to ask an off-topic question.
Approved as submitted
A presentation was given by co-chair Woodgate on developments in the measurement of high-frequency near-field immunity.
This presentation could be updated and presented again at Warsaw, but advance publicity will be essential.
It was particularly unfortunate that the meeting was scheduled at the same time as co-chair Whitlock was presenting a Masterclass on EMC. It is to be hoped that such clashes will be avoided in future by better co-ordination within AES.
3. Reports of past events
In spite of advance publicity, the meeting at Berlin was very poorly attended.
4. Proposals for future events:
No proposals received.
5. New project proposals:
Co-chair Whitlock will write a paper for the Journal explaining how important it is to understand, respect and apply EMC principles at the design stage.
6. New business:
7. Next meeting: at the 138th Convention in Warsaw, May 2015
8. Closing of the meeting
Meeting closed by co-chair Woodgate
These documents do not necessarily express the official position of the AES on the issues discussed at these meetings, and only represent the views of committee members participating in the discussion. Any unauthorized use of these publications is prohibited. Authorization must be obtained from the Executive Director of the AES: Email, Tel: +1 212 661 8528, Address: 60 East 42nd Street, Room 2520, New York, New York 10165-2520, USA.
2014-5-2 Report of Technical Committee TC-EMC 140428
Description: Report from 136th Convnetion
2014-5-2 How to lose a million dollars
Description: An example of what can and does happen.
2014-5-1 Changes in EMC standards and European regulation
Description: Presentation by John Woodgate at the 136th Convention meeting
2014-4-22 Agenda for 136th Convention
Description: Draft agenda
2014-4-20 Important changes in EMC standards and European regulations
Description: New developments that affect everyone in professional audio
2007-4-25 A Selective Bibliography for Electromagnetic Compatibility in Audio Systems
Description: The publications listed below are recommended by the AES Technical Committee on EMC as representative of good practice and current knowledge.
Jim Brown Ray A. Rayburn Rick Chinn Bruce Olson J M Woodgate Joel Vieira de Brito Bill Whitlock Jay Paul Jamie Angus Avedis Kifedjian Arnold Knott David Josephson
To request membership in this Technical Committee please email the Chair by using the link above.