Meeting Topic: The Effects of Sound Design on Film
Moderator Name: Alexandra Marie Hegedus
Speaker Name: Sonny Wingler: BSU Telecommunications Professor and Freelance Sound Designer
Meeting Location: Muncie, IN, USA
How to Sound Design:
Read. Reread your script
Let it sink in
What might you hear?
- Room noise
- Nature sounds
- REMEMBER TO STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF THE NARRATIVE
- BE INVISIBLE - don't let people know you exist
Flag important actions:
- Ex. Door slams on an arm
- Does it break? Or is he okay?
What is usable on location?
Dialogue clean up
What do you add now?
- SOUND EFFECTS
- What do you give FX to? ANYTHING THAT MOVES
- Room tone room tone room tone
- Cloth movement
- Contextual sounds: Elements that exist within the scene, Hey, did you hear that?, Music
Sound FX Libraries
- Basement of Bracken
- MAKE YOUR OWN: Break it down into components, What is something made of?, How does it operate?, Play to the physics, but you're telling a story
Written By: Peyton Cox