- Time to Vote: 2014 AES Elections
- Deadline was Friday, July 11th
- AES Showcases Latest Audio Innovations and Best Practices at 136th International Convention in Berlin
- Successful Technical Program and Exhibition draw high attendance and positive response from attendees and exhibitors alike
- Graham Blyth Celebrates 20 years of Organ Concerts at AES 135
- Audio and Video Downloads Now Available
- Berlin Convention Registration Now Open!
- Mobile App is Also Ready to Download
AES Press Release: AES New York 2013
135th Audio Engineering Society Convention to Feature Session on Live Audio Drama and Narration
For Release: October 14, 2013
— “Stories for the Ears: Live Audio Drama and Narration” will feature some of the industry’s top voice talent and award-winning works —
New York, NY — The 135th Audio Engineering Society Convention (Thursday, October 17, through Sunday, October 20, 2013, at the Javits Center in New York City) will feature the event “Stories for the Ears: Live Audio Drama and Narration,” Friday, October 18, 2013, 8:30 PM to 10:00 PM, at The Paley Center for Media. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. Seating is limited, first-come-first-seated. The event, hosted by Bob Kaliban (CBS Mystery Theater) and presented by the HEAR Now Festival and SueMedia Productions in conjunction with the Audio Engineering Society (AES), features an evening of live audio/radio drama along with narrative readings celebrating the art of sonic storytelling.
The program will feature performances by Audie Award-winning and Golden Voice narrators Jim Dale, Katherine Kellgren, Robin Miles and Barbara Rosenblat, and the award winning NY-based audio drama troupe VoiceScapes Audio Theater.
For more information on this event, please visit http://www.aes.org/events/135/specialevents/?ID=3759. For further information on the 135th AES International Convention, and to register for your free Exhibits-Plus badge or the premium All-Access badge, please visit http://www.aes.org/events/135/.
About the featured performers:
- Bob Kaliban has been a voice actor for more than 40 years, having been a regular on programs like CBS Mystery Theater. Bob has also performed in ads, cartoons (School House Rock), television, movies, on Broadway, in video games and more.
- Jim Dale has won a record ten Audie Awards, including “Narrator of the Year 2001/5/7/8” and “Audio Book of the Year 2004,” plus two GRAMMY® Awards and seven nominations. He holds two Guinness World Records: 1. Creating 146 different character voices for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2. Occupying the first six places in the “Top Ten Audio Books of America.” He has performed on Broadway and won a “Best Actor” TONY® Award for Barnum, along with five additional TONY Nominations and four Drama Desk Awards. Jim is also an Academy Award® Nominee for writing the lyrics for the title song to Georgy Girl.
- Katherine Kellgren is a multi-Audie Award winning Golden Voice Narrator who is an audiobook fan favorite because of her no-holds-barred portrayals of characters. Her aptitude with accents is extraordinary. From drunken Scotsman to high-born ladies, Katherine fully embodies all the characters in every book she reads.
- Robin Miles began her career as a dancer and actress who found her way to audiobook narration in the early 2000s. An Audie Award-winning and Golden Voice narrator, her works have included Brother, I’m Dying; Half of a Yellow Sun; and Roots. Among her stage credits are The Violet Hour on Broadway and works by Shakespeare, Moliere, Shaw, Euripides, and Brecht at venues like The Public Theater, The Ensemble Studio Theatre and The Yale Repertory Theatre. Robin is also a voice coach and teacher.
- Barbara Rosenblat has been described as “the Meryl Streep of audiobooks” by the NY Times. She is a multi-Audie Award-winning and Golden Voice narrator whose extraordinary range of accents and characterizations in a distinguished body of work (more than 400 titles to date) makes her one of the most sought after and beloved narrators of audiobooks in the country. On Broadway, Barbara created the role of Mrs. Medlock in the TONY Award-winning musical The Secret Garden. She returned to Broadway in the critically acclaimed revival of Eric Bogosian's dark comedy Talk Radio starring Liev Schreiber. In the gaming world her voice can be heard in Grand Theft Auto. Currently she is a featured cast member on Netflix’s Orange is the New Black (as Miss Rosa).
- VoiceScapes Audio Theater is a troupe of audio actors, directors, sound engineers, writers, and producers who perform original works of fantasy comedy, and more. They will be performing their award-winning original audio play It Always Feels Like Monday. Additionally, VoiceScapes will present the award-winning comedy short Best Friends Forever. Manual live and recorded sound effects and music give VoiceScapes Audio Theater’s performances a ‘cinematic sound’ quality.
About the presenters:
- The HEAR Now Festival is the audio equivalent of a film festival for contemporary audio story-telling in all its forms: live and scripted shows, solo and multi-voiced performances, classic radio drama, experimental narrative, and much much more. The Festival happens every June in Kansas City, Missouri.
- SueMedia Productions specializes in Transmedia Storytelling. An Audie Award-winning company, they create fully realized soundscapes for all of their projects. Additional awards for their audio productions include The Gracies, Communicator Awards, International Festival of Radio Awards and many more.
About the Audio Engineering Society
The Audio Engineering Society was formed in 1948 and now counts over 14,000 members throughout the U.S., Latin America, Europe, Japan and the Far East. The organization serves as the pivotal force in the exchange and dissemination of technical information for the industry. Currently, its members are affiliated with more than 75 AES professional sections and more than 95 AES student sections around the world. Section activities may include guest speakers, technical tours, demonstrations and social functions. Through local AES section events, members experience valuable opportunities for professional networking and personal growth. For additional information visit http://www.aes.org.
AES Marketing Communications:
Tel: 615-662-1616, Fax: 615-662-1636,
Tel: 615-662-1616, Fax: 615-662-1636,
Clyne Media, Inc.,
169-B Belle Forest Circle, Nashville, TN 37221;Web: http://www.clynemedia.com