Posted On: 2019-2-7
Location: Ozark, Missouri, USA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This newly created role of Senior Engineer, Loudspeaker Systems to support Dolby’s Cinema and Professional Loudspeaker solutions will be a member of an engineering team that develops products for the Dolby Cinema business unit. Working closely with the cross-functional business teams, along with the core Dolby cinema engineering team, the successful candidate will utilize the tools and processes of our world class engineering group to bring advanced, disruptive products to market.
The individual is expected to have knowledge of the cinema and/or professional audio markets, and a background in large format loudspeaker system design. He/she must be a team player and thrive in an environment of diverse multi-functional teams, across different time zones around the world.
The successful candidate will regularly engage with people across multiple disciplines including R&D, engineering, manufacturing, support, operations and program management to deliver innovative products to the market and drive increased market share.
- Research and design cinema and professional loudspeaker systems using state of the art technologies and transducers.
- Thoroughly characterize loudspeakers using a variety of test and measurement techniques, including small-signal and large-signal analysis in anechoic full-space and half-space environments.
- Work with mechanical engineers to design loudspeaker enclosures optimally tuned and aligned for selected transducers.
- Design optimized ports for vented enclosures with minimal compression and turbulence.
- Develop and test passive crossover circuits for loudspeakers using modern simulation and design approaches.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineers to develop engineering test specifications and procedures for testing and verifying loudspeaker production quality.
- Interface with professional transducer vendors to select high quality transducers that are optimized for their targeted application.
- Perform extensive transducer qualification testing to verify performance benchmarks of select transducers using modern laboratory measurement tools and devices.
- Create well written test reports outlining laboratory findings and characterizations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to assist in product definition and feasibility PLM phases.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or similar field of study with 8+ years of - hands-on experience in loudspeaker system design.
- Proven history of designing and delivering cost effective, high performance loudspeaker systems for use in large format professional and cinema applications.
- Familiar with industry measurement standards and techniques for measuring frequency response, power handling, sensitivity, coverage patterns, impedance, distortion, and other loudspeaker parameters.
- Experience with crossover development and modelling software tools – ex. LEAP.
- Proficient with engineering development tools and laboratory test & measurement equipment used for loudspeaker system and transducer design & development – Klippel, EASERA, SoundCheck, etc.
- Experience with performing rub and buzz analysis on loudspeakers and transducers.
- Familiarity with vibration analysis measurement tools & techniques.
- Extensive supply chain experience in professional audio transducers and associated loudspeaker components & materials.
- Familiar with anechoic chamber measurement environments.
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform design & development tasks with minimal oversight.
- Great team player with strong verbal and written communication skills, and technical language proficiency.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, both functionally and geographically.
- Organizational savvy to get things done in a dynamic deadline driven environment.
- Proven ability of working hands-on and multitasking.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, with one or more trips per year.
- Willing to relocate to the Springfield, Missouri area.
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Please mention AES001225 when applying for this position.
1275 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) creates audio, video, and voice technologies that transform entertainment and communications in mobile devices, at the cinema, at home, and at work. For more than 50 years, sight and sound experiences have become more vibrant, clear, and powerful in Dolby. For more information, please visit www.dolby.com.