Posted On: 2018-6-26
Location: Steying, West Sussex, UK
At Bowers & Wilkins we are currently looking to recruit a Research Project Manager to work closely with the various technical teams in Steyning, West Sussex. This role will take direction from the Head of Research & the Head of Advanced Engineering, project managing research and exploration projects to fruition through initiation, engineering work, prototype, pre-development, handover and in some instances the internal NPI process to market.
Typical projects can include:
- Engineering or scientific research work for specific problem solving. This normally involves bibliographic studies, simulation and experimental work, coding and subjective evaluation
- Internal projects related to process/method improvements
- Creation of prototypes or concept products aimed at demonstrating specific capabilities in terms of audio performance or functionalities. This is normally referred to as product exploration
- Engineering pre-development (i.e. pre B&W NPI process) aimed at confirming technical feasibility prior to committing to a full product development cycle.
The role relies on interacting closely with Bowers & Wilkins engineers of all disciplines including simulation, electronics, acoustics, DSP and mechanical/ industrial design. The engineers are based mainly in the UK, but also in California and Taiwan. Interaction with industrial and academic partners or consultancies is likely to be required.
- Clarifying project goals with the various technical and engineering teams internally and externally, including clearly defined objectives and deliverables
- Planning technical work and resources accordingly
- Maintaining regular communication with the technical teams to track project progress
- Managing the communication with external partners related to contracts, confidentiality agreements and data exchanges
- Maintaining and updating the project plan in accordance with business constraints such as product development priorities.
Research and exploration activities are currently managed using an Agile framework, with 3 weeks sprints. The Research Project Manager is expected to maintain the existing process and introduce improvements when appropriate.
- Prior experience with SCRUM/Agile methodologies and traditional project management practices and principles
- Ability to demonstrate multiple years of managing complex projects from concept through to execution
- Strong interpersonal skills including collaborating and team building
- Creative approach aimed at adapting project management techniques to the specification of research and exploration activities
- Experience overseeing multi-function project teams including hardware and software engineers
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills in English, together with an ability to work across cultures.
- Capable of managing upwards and partnering with internal and external subject experts
- Driving license
- Be willing to travel on occasion
At Bowers & Wilkins we offer competitive rates of pay, product discounts, 25 days holiday per year, group pension plan with 5% employer/employee contributions, life insurance, employee assistance programme and private healthcare.
How to Apply: If you would like to apply, please send a covering letter and c.v to:
Please mention AES001158 when applying for this position.
B&W Group Ltd. was founded in 1966 and is based in Worthing, UK. They conduct research into acoustics and design, manufacture, and distribute loudspeaker systems for the domestic and professional markets. B&W Group companies also distribute Rotel, Classé, and i-Command brand products throughout Europe, North America, and China.