Posted On: 2018-4-9
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Martin Audio enjoys an international reputation for supplying award winning professional loudspeaker systems across the spectrum of touring, theatre and installation applications.
The company was founded in 1971 by engineering maestro Dave Martin. His vision was to enable bands to play to larger audiences and be properly heard for the first time. The reputation of Martin Audio speakers quickly grew and soon we were producing world class touring systems for the super groups of the day, including Pink Floyd, The Who and Supertramp.
Renowned for integrity in design, technical excellence and the longevity of its products, Martin Audio takes system creation into a further dimension. Our mission is for every member of the audience to enjoy an exceptional sonic experience faithfully reproducing the artist’s performance.
The company's prestigious UK headquarters at High Wycombe houses dedicated research & development facilities, manufacturing processes, demonstration suite, warehousing, management, sales and customer support offices.
• A creative and highly motivated professional loudspeaker designer responsible for the design of loudspeaker systems that meet the design specification having ownership of projects from concept through to manufacture.
• You will collaborate closely with the cross-functional development team meeting required milestones and delivering best in class product designs to market on time and to target cost.
• Design of Loudspeaker Systems to Meet Design Specification.
o A thorough understanding of loudspeaker transducers and systems is required in order to design world class systems.
o Transducer specification, selection and evaluation.
Excellent knowledge and understanding of lumped parameters.
An understanding of non-linear parameter measurement and their interpretation.
The ability and aptitude to critically assess practical issues and apply your knowledge of transducers to meet performance and cost specifications.
o Enclosure specification, prototyping, measurement and evaluation
Fluent in the use of modelling software for low frequency design.
A rudimentary understanding of modelling software including BeM, FeM and their application to system design.
Knowledge and practical use of 3D CAD (Ideally Creo), in order to interpret existing CAD and to design, model and analyse Concepts.
The ability to interpret 2D drawings.
Practical skills to build prototype systems.
Fluent in acoustic measurement techniques.
o System design
Electro-acoustic measurements of transducers, systems and crossovers.
Excellent critical listening, evaluation and benchmarking skills in order to optimise designs.
Crossover Design using a software model and optimisation through measurement and listening.
The ability to make and interpret power tests in order to ensure product reliability and longevity.
Production of costed BoMs
o Release to production
Supply of measurements and technical specifications to the Products Group.
Specification of the QA requirements for the acoustic performance and the ability to work closely with the Mechanical Engineering and Production Team in order transfer the design from prototype to production, working both with the MA UK factory and with OEM suppliers.
Oversee Pilot runs at the MA UK factory and OEM suppliers supporting manufacturing start-up and continuous engineering.
• An understanding of in-house and OEM manufacturing
• Self-motivated and driven with a good problem-solving ability
• Able to work well in small, multi-disciplinary teams
• Highly motivated to produce world class designs
• The ability to work in a small, multidisciplinary R&D team working closely with the Product Manager, Product Support Group, Mechanical Design Team and Production.
• The design of loudspeaker systems from concept to manufacture including but not limited to:
o The specification and optimisation of transducers
o The design of loudspeaker enclosures, phase-plugs and horns using modelling software and physical prototyping
o Passive crossover design using software tools and practical prototyping
o Active crossover design, equalisation and limiter settings
o Benchmarking against existing and competitor product
o Building and evaluation of physical prototypes using measurements and critical listening in order to iterate and optimise deigns to meet or exceed the required performance
o Completion of power tests and design iteration as required to ensure product longevity
• Degree in Acoustical Engineering, Electroacoustics or other related subjects.
• Good understanding of acoustic devices including application of tools for measurement and analysis.
• Horn design. A good understanding of acoustic efficiency and directivity and the theory and practical application of acoustic principles to achieve a desired performance.
• LF system design including transducers, enclosures and horns. Familiarity with modelling software for LF system design.
• Practical understanding of analogue electronic circuits, especially relating to crossover design.
• A practical understanding of digital signal processing and its applications.
• The ability to make Mathematical Models of acoustic system using FeM, BeM or Matlab would be an advantage.
You are expected to work at the company head office in High Wycombe on a full time basis 37.5 hours per week, over the standard working hours of 8.45am to 5.30pm, Monday to Thursday and 8.45pm to 4pm on Friday. An hour is allowed for lunch Monday to Thursday and 45 minutes on Friday. On occasion you may be asked to work overtime, for which no remuneration will be given.
Comprehensive benefits package includes: Life Assurance, Income protection, Pension, Bike2work scheme, 24 days holiday increasing with length of service, Birthday holiday, staff discount on company products.
How to Apply: please apply to: Alicia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention AES001139 when applying for this position.
Century Point, Halifax Road
Cressex Business Park, High Wycombe
Martin Audio designs and manufactures professional loudspeaker systems for touring sound and fixed installation. Founded in 1971 the company has focused on developing and refining multi-way loudspeaker systems for sound reinforcement with an obsessive attention to detail on the professional sound system’s acoustic performance to deliver dynamic, full-frequency sound right across the audience. Whether it’s their multi-cellular loudspeaker array systems which can be optimized by software to deliver sound across the audience to meet the sonic goals required for any medium to large space or the more recent coaxial differential dispersion transducer technology enabling wide even coverage for smaller spaces, its patented innovation is at the forefront of the industry.