Posted On: 2018-3-9
Location: Richardson, TX, USA
A Career at HARMAN
We are ONE HARMAN. We are greater than the sum of our divisions or brands. We proudly talk about our many iconic brands and describe how our technologies are transforming the car, the workplace and everywhere in between. We work hard. We create useful, playful, beautiful things. We strive for excellence and we aim to win as a team. No matter the position, every employee at HARMAN is expected to demonstrate our core competencies: leadership, change-orientation, collaboration, judgment and a results-driven mindset. At HARMAN, we expect brilliance. You can expect a career full of brilliant possibilities.
Senior Principal Engineers consistently demonstrate high levels of technical expertise, ingenuity and creativity.
This position is responsible for developing and applying advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories, and concepts. Recognized as a technical expert in Audio Power Electronics, while exercising broad knowledge of the design and operation of additional systems and fields. They are widely recognized as a technical expert within the Division.
In this role the successful candidate will help author and invent the next generation of audio power hardware and software. Leveraging technology trends and their own expertise, the successful candidate will disrupt both cost and user experience to lead the professional audio industry.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibility, but will serve as a peer coach to technical colleagues and junior technology talent on technical and career possibilities. The incumbent will also provide Division level mentoring in their respective field of expertise.
• Lead research on advanced technology projects, influencing future generations of audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer, and professional use
• Invent, develop, and document highest impact future use scenarios to identify and verify future opportunities
• Lead efforts to envision, design, and build working systems of future interaction methods
• Extend on existing research by creating systems rapidly with a series of working prototypes, testing them with user studies, and writing publishable quality papers
• Conduct technology evaluation and assessment of software and hardware tools, component technologies, and systems
• Create project plans and roadmaps by combining emerging technology trends with corporate and academic research
• Write and review invention disclosures to protect intellectual property, both as main inventor and co-inventor; follow up with legal counsel when patent applications are drafted
• Feed and curate pipeline to transfer gained technology (systems, hardware, software) and knowledge (IP, technology research findings) to the company
• Contribute to strategic roadmaps and drive breakthrough ideas and world-class research into product organizations
• Integral part of project decision making team which includes both HARMAN and the customer’s executive management. project management and engineering teams
• Administer change management of large projects and still meet stringent quality and timing requirements
• Accurately estimate the project scope of a large project and the manpower crucial for the NPI phase
• Work directly with the customer throughout various phases of the project and instills confidence when representing the goals of HARMAN
• Communicates openly and organizes technical discussions as needed
• Looks for win-win solutions when resolving conflicts or removing obstacles
• PhD degree in Engineering or related field and 8 years of experience in corporate or academic research; alternatively, Master’s Degree in above mentioned fields and 12 years of experience in research and development or Bachelor’s Degree and 16 years’ experience
• Expert in at least one of the following fields: Power Electronics, Power Supplies, Analog / Digital Electronics design
• Exceptional reputation as an innovator based on having created forward looking research, projects, and award winning publications
• Proven technical leadership
• Experience working in the Pro Audio, Consumer Audio, or Automotive industry
• Experience with the use of rapid prototyping tools for software and hardware, electronics, and mechanical design for consumer electronics and future device platforms
• Ability to communicate advanced and complex concepts and ideas persuasively and concisely to all levels of the business
• Experience in power electronics design and test practices and methodologies.
• Experience in design for global safety / regulatory requirements (CSA, UL, etc.). Experience and/or knowledge in PCB layout practices.
• Experience and/or knowledge in PWM / switching amplifier technologies.
• Experience with design for manufacturability (DFM).
• Thorough knowledge of design for EMC.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment with interfaces to procurement, vendors, and contract manufacturers.
• Ability to design and conduct real world tests for electrical, thermal, and mechanical integrity
• Previous Professional or Consumer Audio/Video experience
• Thermal design experience related to power semiconductors for both natural and forced air convection including thermal interfacing and dissipation.
• Knowledge of professional audio systems (public address, cinema, sound reinforcement, etc.)
• Experience in project / product management (scheduling, resource allocation, etc.). Thorough knowledge of required steps to bring product from concept to production.
• Transformer/magnetic design knowledge and/or experience.
• Experience in utilizing circuit simulation and analysis tools.
• Experience in mixed signal analog/digital system design.
• Willingness to travel 5-10% of the time domestic and international.
• Willingness to work in an office.
• Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
• List preferred skills here.
How to Apply: Please apply using the link below:
Please mention AES001117 when applying for this position.
400 Atlantic St.
Stamford, CT 06901
Phone: +1 203 328 3500
Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, Harman (NYSE: HAR) designs, manufactures, and markets a wide range of audio and infotainment solutions for the automotive, consumer, and professional markets— supported by 15 leading brands including AKG, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson. The company is admired by audiophiles across multiple generations and supports leading professional entertainers and the venues where they perform. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with Harman audio and infotainment systems. Harman has a workforce of about 13,400 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia, and reported sales of $4.4 billion for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012. Harman is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training, and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with Harman!