Posted On: 2018-3-8
Location: Northridge, CA, USA
Harman Professional is seeking a talented, highly motivated and dynamic mechanical engineer to join our product development team. The principal mechanical product development engineer will be responsible for preforming design and analysis to support research and development of loudspeaker systems. This position leads concept phase, design activities, reviews and reports design’s progress. Assignments are broad in nature, requiring appreciable initiative, originality, ingenuity and strong problem solving skills. The ideal candidate will have excellent analysis skills, advanced mechanical engineering experience and good understanding of professional loudspeaker systems. This is an opportunity to join an elite team.
• Design and develop complex mechanical systems, components and assemblies for loudspeaker cabinets, transducers, suspension components, brackets and fixtures among others.
• Work closely with systems and transducer engineering teams to define and develop key mechanical assemblies, requirements and specifications
• Work closely with Harman Product Development teams to transition and support the manufacture of loudspeaker systems, components, transducers, electronics and subassemblies
• Discover and propose new ideas and technologies to the engineering and marketing teams
• Research design options and perform experiments to determine potential design feasibility or application.
• Construct prototypes, evaluate and document their performance, identify improvements
• Explore new and existing materials and methods to solve design and/or cost challenges
• Perform structural and thermal analyses of components and assemblies using finite element analysis (FEA) software
• Create and implement suitable tests to verify designs meet mechanical requirements including applicable international safety regulatory aspects
• Create engineering models, drawings, test plans, and technical reports
• Prepare technical reports.
• Assist in the creation and release of Product Requirements, Design Specifications, and Design Descriptions for assigned designs, applicable standards and procedures. Responsible for recording and sharing technical knowledge gained with colleagues.
• Mentor other engineers and technicians.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology or equivalent technical degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 8+ years related engineering experience
• Full proficiency in SolidWorks
• Thorough understanding of fundamental mechanical engineering principles
• Hands-on experience with mechanical assemblies utilizing rapid-prototyping methods and equipment
• High degree of comfort with ambiguity in early-phase project investigation
• Proficiency in the use of analytical tools such as finite element analysis methods, and other modeling and simulation tools for the design of mechanical structures
• Knowledge of thermoplastic materials used in injection molding processes.
• Background in design of injection molded, die cast, CNC, compression molded, stamped, forged, welded, machined parts and assemblies and their associated manufacturing processes
• Is a self-starter, can manage multiple tasks, and work with minimal supervision
• Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet)
• Experience working with cross-functional teams in a matrixed environment
• Work in a collaborative multi disciplined team environment
• Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Engineering design experience with CAD modeling and simulation tools and techniques
• Proficiency with FEA, FMEA, thermal simulation, stress analysis, dynamic analysis and other advanced mechanical engineering modeling practices.
• Experience designing components for injection molding, die casting, woodworking, sheet metal, stamping, CNC machining, compression molding, hot/cold forging, etc.
• Structural engineering knowledge for rigging and suspension system design
• Advanced knowledge, skills and working experience in SolidWorks including surfacing of complex geometries.
• Understanding and experience with topology optimization techniques
• Outgoing personality with a strong desire to provide mentorship within the organization
• Willingness to work in an office in Northridge, CA
• Willingness to travel to other Harman locations in the US and internationally
• Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
Please apply using the link below or email resumes directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention AES001115 when applying for this position.
400 Atlantic St.
Stamford, CT 06901
Phone: +1 203 328 3500
Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, Harman (NYSE: HAR) designs, manufactures, and markets a wide range of audio and infotainment solutions for the automotive, consumer, and professional markets— supported by 15 leading brands including AKG, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson. The company is admired by audiophiles across multiple generations and supports leading professional entertainers and the venues where they perform. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with Harman audio and infotainment systems. Harman has a workforce of about 13,400 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia, and reported sales of $4.4 billion for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012. Harman is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training, and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with Harman!