- May 20, 2016
- April 22, 2016
AES Job Board: Dolby Laboratories, Inc. - Multiple Job Listings
Staff Researcher_Audio Processing Technologies
Posted On: 2016-4-8
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. As a member of the Dolby team, you will see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do this, we need the absolute best talent, including experts in emerging audio signal processing and acoustics technologies.
This position is in Dolby’s Sound Technology Research Group and involves the creation and refinement of innovative audio signal processing technologies from conception through proof of concept and first reduction to practice. Primary research focus areas include perceptual audio coding, parametric audio coding, and psychoacoustic modeling. Secondary research topics fall within the broader field of audio and acoustics signal processing. This role requires close collaboration with other R&D staff, and includes opportunities for proposing new research directions and project leadership. We are seeking a self-motivated, highly talented team player that is interested in applying his/her skills to enhance audio delivery and reproduction from content creation to consumer device playback. Research results will be evaluated through objective performance metrics and subjective listening tests. We work in teams that interact with other internal groups in multiple geographies as well as potential customers of the technology.
Candidates must have these skills or background.
* Ph.D. Electrical Engineering with development experience, or MS Electrical Engineering with 2 years of algorithm development experience
* Demonstrated strong ability to create fundamentally new audio signal processing technologies in the form of technical papers, products, and/or patents
* Proficient in the advanced theory and application of digital audio processing and filterbanks
* Strong interest and curiosity in learning, researching and creating new audio processing technologies
* Team-oriented work ethic
* Excellent communication skills
* Proficient in MATLAB and C/C++ language programming
* Expertise in all of the following:
o Perceptual and parametric audio coding theory, methods, and standards
o Psychoacoustic modeling
o Knowledge of mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, probability and statistics, number theory, and information theory
Please apply directly to the following link and your resume will be read immediately:
Please mention AES00862 when applying for this position.
Senior Research Engineer
Posted On: 2016-4-26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, a team-oriented research environment, interesting and challenging projects, and great compensation and benefits.
This research engineer position in Stockholm, Sweden, focuses on the creation of audio signal processing technologies including a broad range of research from the underlying theoretical concepts to the development of prototypes that provide a proof of concept. As a part of an international team, you will explore new horizons in the field of audio signal processing, such as audio analysis, audio coding, spatial capture and rendering, media intelligence, etc. Applications include pre-processing, coding and post-processing solutions in market areas such as consumer electronics, mobile, broadcast, PC and digital cinema applications.
Knowledge & Skills
You should be a highly motivated individual keen on applying your skills and a fundamental understanding of the way that sound sources are captured, coded, enhanced, and played back using digital signal processing techniques.
• MS in Electrical Engineering, or similar, with focus on digital signal processing with a few years of relevant research and/or development experience
• Experience in the following fields: Audio signal processing, psychoacoustics, electroacoustic, audio for gaming, mobile audio applications
• Good programming skills in Matlab, C/C++, Python, etc. for digital signal processing
• Strong personal interest in sound technologies and in learning, researching, and creating relevant new technologies with commercial impact
• Ability to go from idea to working concept
• Interest in the practical aspects of audio capture/recording and playback. Experience from development of plug-ins etc. for recording software is a plus
• Understanding of general acoustics
• Team-oriented work ethic and interest in working in international teams
• Independent, self-motivated, proactive with positive thinking, focused on possibilities and solutions
• Excellent communication skills. Fluent in English.
If you are interested, please apply online at http://www.dolby.com/us/en/about/careers/landing.html (Job ID 16882) with your CV as well as a cover letter including your possible starting date and salary expectations.
Please mention AES00867 when applying for this position.
Platform Solutions Manager
Posted On: 2016-6-9
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
As Platform Manager you will join a small but critical team at the heart of Dolby’s audio innovation, your contribution will directly influence the priorities and direction that Dolby takes. Between the team of platform managers we are responsible for the core audio technology platforms that allow Dolby and its customers to build products that push the audio experience boundaries.
As Platform Manager, you are responsible for the vision, roadmap, and execution of key audio technology platforms which are essential in Dolby’s current and future business. This global role collaborates with external influential industry partners to help validate platform concepts and technology roadmaps and internal technical / business and development teams.
Furthermore the Platform Manager is responsible for ensuring that the strategy of the platform contributes to the company's overall vision, strategy and goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Own and be accountable for the vision, roadmap, development, management and on-time delivery of one or more key audio technology platforms
- Ensure that the audio technology platforms are aligned with the company vision, and meet and exceed current and emerging market needs.
- Own the cross-company coordination and prioritization of the platforms needs, collaborate to ensure the platforms meet the needs of multiple products.
- Own the continued evolution of the platforms by collaborating with research, provide guidance on new areas and prioritize on what to solve, document customer usage and use cases. Collaborate with platform engineering and applicable business group technology leaders and partners to ensure feasibility and applicability.
- Partner with other Platform Managers, Platform Development teams, Architects to ensure the end to end ecosystem from content creation to consumer playback delivers the optimal experience.
- Partner with research and development, business group leaders and CTO office, to formulate the medium to longer term master roadmap (3+ year time horizon) that guides creation and evolution of core audio platforms and ecosystem solutions for the company.
- Be a visible and pro-active platform/technology expert, leader and evangelist. Define best practices on how your platform is integrated within Dolby’s products and products developed by Dolby’s customers.
- Stay current with industry technology and maintain awareness of market and customer trends. Use this knowledge to evolve your technology platforms.
- Be responsible for day-to-day Platform Solutions tasks such as identifying, defining and prioritizing new features, optimizations, and enhancements; clarifying the platform requirements and customer needs; and scheduling platform updates and managing the platform roadmap.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required in technical, engineering, science or related fields; advanced degree (e.g. MBA) or equivalent experience desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience in product/technology management.
- Passion for enhancing the entertainment experience and for “pushing the technology envelope”.
- Track record of managing successful complex technology products and systems.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, both functionally and geographically. Can demonstrate the ability to bring consensus to planning and product development initiatives is a must.
- Basic understanding of signal processing algorithms (audio processing and compression), signal processing blocks (like FIR, IIR, FFT etc).
- Strong, oral, and written, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; excellent team member, having a strong public presence with the talent to present
- Good understanding of requirements management, epics/user stories, and feature prioritization.
-Experience in Agile product development/leadership is desirable.
- Good understanding in managing the complete product lifecycle, from initial concept to end-of-life.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, high-technology environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Deep knowledge of audio technologies and applications. - Knowledge of Dolby’s products, technologies and customers or equivalent industry knowledge desirable.
- Ability to travel domestically and overseas. International travel and work experience desirable
Please mention AES00882 when applying for this position.
About Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) is the global leader in technologies that are essential elements in the best entertainment experiences. Founded in 1965 and best known for high-quality audio and surround sound, Dolby creates innovations that enrich entertainment at the movies, at home, or on the go. For more information about Dolby Laboratories or Dolby technologies, please visit www.dolby.com.