- February 11, 2015
- January 7, 2015
AES Job Board: Dolby Laboratories, Inc. - Multiple Job Listings
Audio Playback systems Engineer, Broadcast Licensing
Posted On: 2015-1-21
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Whenever you switch on an HD-TV channel you are listening to audio encoded and decoded by Dolby technologies. As a systems engineer in Broadcast Licensing, you will be part of a team that delivers Dolby technology to the broadcast industry. We are a small, dynamic team with a large impact. We work to provide solutions that enable the creation and consumption of audio/video content using Dolby formats. The tasks involved to produce our SDKs are quite varied and so the job will be ideal for an engineer who is flexible, and relishes new challenges.
As a Systems Engineer for the Broadcast Licensing team, you will create and maintain system development materials used by Dolby licensees to integrate Dolby technologies into broadcast products such as televisions and set top boxes. The Systems Engineer will work closely with other engineers, product management, and marketing teams, to define next generation technologies within the broadcast playback ecosystem. A detailed understanding of product designs, chip architectures, and middleware will be essential to develop effective solutions to technical problems in the market. In this role, the Systems Engineer will interact cross-functionally, and with licensees.
• Creates and maintains system development materials used for development of products incorporating licensed Dolby technologies. These materials include:
o Test materials such as test documentation, test streams, test analysis tools, and test automation applied to end-user products (e.g. STBs and TVs).
o Technical documentation supporting integration of Dolby technologies into products such as system development manuals.
o Wrapper and/or integration code that will facilitate the adoption of Dolby technologies.
• Creates test strategies to verify proper integration of Dolby technologies into licensed products.
• Collaborates with technical writers to produce technically accurate documentation for use by external and internal customers.
• Contributes to creating requirements for products implementing Dolby technologies in broadcast products based on a thorough understanding of their use cases.
• Reviews and understands customer and marketing needs.
• Provides second line support to customer support organization and direct support to customers when necessary.
• Contributes to research and prototyping of broadcast receiver products using knowledge of system architectures.
• Provides assistance and expertise to other groups and internal/external customers.
• BS/MS in EE or CS (or equivalent).
• Experience in debugging complex systems.
• Familiarity with broadcast standards including MPEG-2 Systems, ATSC, DVB, etc.
• Familiarity with common interfaces such as HDMI, S/PDIF, DLNA, etc
• Familiarity with streaming protocols such as MPEG-DASH, HLS, Smooth Streaming, etc.
• Proficiency in C/C++ programming, desired knowledge in Java and/or scripting languages such PERL or Python.
• Knowledge of audio systems and concepts.
• Knowledge of digital signal processing.
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Familiarity with audio test methods. Experience using audio test systems such as Audio Precision, Rhode and Schwarz, or similar platforms.
• Knowledge of design and testing of consumer broadcast and/or home theater products.
• Experience with one or more audio codecs: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, AAC, HE-AAC, MP3 audio
• Working knowledge of broadcast workflows.
Please mention AES00729 when applying for this position.
Staff Researcher: Audio and Acoustics Signal Processing
Posted On: 2015-1-22
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
• This position is in Dolby’s Sound Technology Research Group and involves the creation and refinement of innovative audio signal processing technologies from conception through proof of concept and first reduction to practice.
• The work involves close collaboration with other R&D staff, as well as opportunities to develop and propose independent ideas for investigation.
• We are seeking a self-motivated, highly talented team player that is interested in applying his/her skills to enhance audio delivery and reproduction from content creation to consumer device playback.
• Research results will be evaluated through objective performance metrics and subjective listening tests.
• We work in teams that interact with other internal groups in multiple geographies as well as potential customers of the technology.
• Ph.D. Electrical Engineering with 3 years of algorithm development experience, or MS Electrical Engineering with 5 years of algorithm development experience
• Demonstrated strong ability to create fundamentally new audio signal processing technologies in the form of technical papers, products, and/or patents
• Proficient in the advanced theory and application of digital audio processing and filterbanks
• Strong interest and curiosity in learning, researching and creating new audio processing technologies
• Team-oriented work ethic
• Excellent communication skills
• Proficient in MATLAB and C/C++ language programming
• Expertise in at least 3 of the following:
o Audio bit-rate reduction theory and methods
o Spatial audio and acoustics signal processing
o Psychoacoustic modeling
o Knowledge of mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, probability and statistics, number theory, and information theory
Please mention AES00730 when applying for this position.
About Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
100 Potrero Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) is the global leader in technologies that are essential elements in the best entertainment experiences. Founded in 1965 and best known for high-quality audio and surround sound, Dolby creates innovations that enrich entertainment at the movies, at home, or on the go. For more information about Dolby Laboratories or Dolby technologies, please visit www.dolby.com.