- December 5, 2014
- November 5, 2014
AES Job Board: Dolby Laboratories, Inc. - Multiple Job Listings
Posted On: 2014-8-22
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
This is a technical management position responsible for building, overseeing, & coordinating a team of QA engineers testing Dolby technologies. This team is responsible for creating, maintaining, & running a QA test environment used to perform functional & performance testing on multiple projects & products developed across multiple global Dolby sites & project teams. This is an exciting & challenging opportunity for the right senior person passionate about both testing & Dolby technologies.
The position involves being part of the larger world-wide Dolby QA community in designing and executing effective, efficient, & repeatable test processes. It requires a strong working knowledge of testing on embedded devices & real-time applications as well as experience successfully managing QA teams. Work will be performed in a collaborative team environment involving interaction with other internal groups as well as potential customers of the technology. At start-up, this position will involve considerable hands-on work, but as the team grows, will evolve to mostly a management and leadership role.
*Manage team of technical test engineers, providing both management & technical oversight enabling team members to be successful in execution of assigned tasks.
*Supervise, plan, guide, and direct the team operationally and tactically in order to meet each project’s objectives of schedule, quality, and budget.
*Plan the resource needs for the team, preparing headcount and equipment budgets to assure adequate resources are in place.
*Develop and implement strategies for testing & test process improvements.
*Grow & teach the team as project demands require.
*Partner w/QA teams from across the company by working closely with Dolby engineering entities across the world.
*Provide technical leadership in the development, specification, implementation, & maintenance of various test environments required to perform full functional feature testing, regression testing and standards compliance verification on all products assigned to the team.
*Manage the planning, design, and implementation of comprehensive test plans & test cases to ensure product functionality requirements & performance goals are achieved.
*Create & maintain test schedules for all projects within the team.
*Produce regular reports of product quality measures, to ensure goals are met.
*Stay abreast of industry SQA tools & best practices & apply those to the development & deployment of new test technologies, tools &/or methods.
*M.S. or B.S. Electrical Engineering (or equivalent) w/at least 8 years of test experience & at least 3 years of test group management experience.
*Expert knowledge & understanding of test methodologies, practices, software development processes, & defect tracking systems.
*Deep knowledge of automated test methodologies & tools.
*Hands-on scripting &/or test tool development experience.
*Experience testing consumer electronics, consumer audio product testing would be a significant plus
*Experience leading consumer electronics compatibility testing
*Direct experience with embedded and real-time applications testing & test tooling.
*Experience with audio testing would be a significant plus.
*Significant experience testing applications in the Linux environment.
*Experience testing complex systems utilizing DSP hardware.
*Positive, team-oriented work ethic.
*Exceptional presentation, coaching, & mentoring skills will also be important for success. Must be able to present to all position levels, from individual contributors to executives.
*Superior interpersonal skills, especially influencing, is required. Must have the ability to develop strong working relationships with partners, customers, and team members at all levels. Must be able to deal with unexpected challenges in a collaborative, professional manner.
*This position may require periodic international travel.
To apply, send your resumé to email@example.com
Please mention AES00682 when applying for this position.
Director of Product Engineering
Posted On: 2014-8-22
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
We are seeking a confident multi-talented individual to lead the consumer electronic product engineering efforts within Dolby’s Advanced Technology Group. The ideal candidate will be experienced in consumer electronic product development and familiar and comfortable with a fast paced environment where the efforts of internal hardware, software and QA teams together with outside contractors and suppliers must all be well orchestrated. Desired traits include excellent leadership and communication skills, personal agency, diplomacy and a high level of personal organization, self-motivation and integrity.
*Converting a deep understanding of the elements of product development into a detailed cohesive plan for each new product or product family.
*Involvement in the early product ideation stages to develop proof of concept deliverables, resource requirements and feasibility studies.
*Develop and manage detailed schedules and resource plans where key deliverables and everything that it takes to make them happen are well thought out and properly provisioned.
*Coordinate the engineering aspect of cross functional activities with industrial design, product management, engineering (electronic, software & mechanical), consultants and suppliers to integrate the engineering project schedules into the overall program schedule.
*Ensure the high level program status information is kept up to date and that lagging areas are identified and addressed with appropriate measures to keep the program on track.
*Ensure and enhance the efficacy of Dolby DNA through the adoption of Dolby process methodologies and development tools.
*Coordinate engineering efforts with the operations team to address supplier selection, tooling, launch, quality and support issues.
*Manage the business arrangements for consultants and sub-contractors and ensure their timely deliveries to the program.
*Track costs related to the program as well as the product. *Manage the investigation of design options and cost reduction activities.
*Communicate the program progression to all stakeholders.
*Strategically prioritize features and tasks, and direct engineering efforts accordingly
*BS/MS in a technical area (preferably electrical, mechanical, software or manufacturing engineering)
*10+ hands-on experience managing the development and launch of hardware and software products. Practical experience in risk assessment and mitigation planning.
*Understanding of common manufacturing processes and supplier management techniques
*Proficiency in project management tools, Microsoft Office suite, including MS project and other project management tools including Agile/Scrum, Confluence and JIRA.
*Experience and skill with software project management.
*A highly organized approach to technical problem solving and attention to detail
*Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to make concise and convincing presentations to all levels of organization from individual contributors to executive committees.
*Willing to travel up to 15%. Bilingual in Mandarin language is a plus but not required.
To apply, send your resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention AES00683 when applying for this position.
D-Cinema Mastering Engineer
Posted On: 2014-10-22
Location: Wootton Bassett, UK
Dolby’s Content Services Group promotes and provides services to support Dolby’s theatrical formats. This includes the creation of D cinema content in-house and assisting the industry to establish efficient workflows to create and distribute content themselves.
The role will report to and work closely with the Senior Mastering Engineer to provide an internal and external DCP mastering service. This will require efficient turnaround of DCP mastering work and general maintenance of the mastering infrastructure and equipment. This role is particularly important as Dolby Atmos becomes an established standard in cinema sound and will also be responsible for helping bring future Dolby technologies to the market.
This is a development position and the successful candidate will be provided with a suitable training plan to achieve the skills required to carry out the role.
Mastering and Distribution
• Encode and package supplied content ready for D-cinema distribution
• Schedule and undertake QCs of content
• Replicate and deliver finished content via physical or electronic means
• Provide KDM generation and delivery as required
Assist in the maintenance of the technical infrastructure at Dolby RWB and London to ensure minimum of downtime and efficient running of systems. Liaise with suppliers and support service providers as required.
• Carry out playback support for content which Dolby has created, or in which Dolby has a vested interest for successful playback
• On an adhoc basis, help define technical projects, monitor them and bring them to a satisfactory conclusion
Workflows and Consultation
• Contribute to the development of efficient workflows and processes for mastering and distribution to aid the adoption of Atmos and other Dolby future technologies.
• Support the training of third parties in the use of Dolby’s technologies for DCP creation and distribution through client site visits, phone calls and email conversations
• On occasion, work with the Content Services Field Engineers to support soundtrack mix/mastering work and premiere and screening support.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• A technical understanding of Digital Cinema and accompanying workflows would be advantageous but is not essential
• Bachelor’s Degree or relevant Audio / Video industry experience
• Demonstrate a technical understanding of hardware / software systems
• Demonstrate the ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders
• Prior experience in developing and maintaining technical infrastructure would be an advantage
• Demonstrate the ability to effectively manage different projects, schedules and deadlines and proactively highlight where there are potential issues or concerns
• During high volume workload periods, the role will require the ability to work under pressure to meet demanding deadlines and manage workflows accordingly.
• Demonstrate the ability to have attention to detail, including when working under pressure
• Able to manage workload within specified deadlines
• This role may involve some International travel
• On occasions the incumbent may need to work additional hours to meet deadlines
To apply click on the link below:
Please mention AES00703 when applying for this position.
Audio Playback Systems Engineer
Posted On: 2014-11-27
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Whenever you switch on an HD-TV channel you are listening to audio encoded and decoded by Dolby technologies. As a systems engineer in Broadcast Licensing, you will be part of a team that delivers Dolby technology to the broadcast industry. We are a small, dynamic team with a large impact. We work to provide solutions that enable the creation and consumption of audio/video content using Dolby formats. The tasks involved to produce our SDKs are quite varied and so the job will be ideal for an engineer who is flexible, and relishes new challenges.
As a Systems Engineer for the Broadcast Licensing team, you will create and maintain system development materials used by Dolby licensees to integrate Dolby technologies into broadcast products such as televisions and set top boxes. The Systems Engineer will work closely with other engineers, product management, and marketing teams, to define next generation technologies within the broadcast playback ecosystem. A detailed understanding of product design, chip architectures, and middleware will be essential to develop effective solutions to technical problems in the market. As part of this role, the Systems Engineer will interact cross-functionally, and with licensees.
- Creates and maintains system development materials used for development of products incorporating licensed Dolby technologies. These materials include:
Test materials such as test documentation, test streams, and test tools.
Technical documentation supporting integration of Dolby technologies into products such as system development manuals.
Wrapper and/or integration code that will facilitate the adoption of Dolby technologies.
- Creates test strategies to verify proper integration of Dolby technologies into licensed products.
- Collaborates with technical writers to produce technically accurate documentation for use by external and internal customers.
- Contributes to creating requirements for products implementing Dolby technologies in broadcast products based on a thorough understanding of their use cases.
- Reviews and understands customer and marketing needs.
- Provides second line support to customer support organization and direct support to customers when necessary.
- Contributes to research and prototyping of broadcast receiver products using knowledge of system architectures.
- Provides assistance and expertise to other groups and internal/external customers.
- BS/MS in EE or CS (or equivalent).
- Experience in debugging complex systems.
- Familiarity with broadcast standards including MPEG-2 Systems, ATSC, DVB, etc.
- Familiarity with common interfaces such as HDMI, S/PDIF, DLNA, etc
- Familiarity with streaming protocols such as MPEG-DASH, HLS, Smooth Streaming, etc.
- Proficiency in C/C++ programming, desired knowledge in Java and/or scripting languages such PERL or Python.
- Knowledge of audio systems and concepts.
- Knowledge of digital signal processing.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Familiarity with audio test methods. Experience using audio test systems such as Audio Precision, Rhode and Schwarz, or similar platforms is a plus.
- Knowledge of design and testing of consumer broadcast and/or home theater products is a plus.
- Experience with one or more audio codecs: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, AAC, HE-AAC, MP3, MPEG-2 audio is desirable.
- Working knowledge of broadcast workflows is nice to have.
Please apply via: http://goo.gl/DSLfHR
Please mention AES00714 when applying for this position.
About Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
100 Potrero Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) is the global leader in technologies that are essential elements in the best entertainment experiences. Founded in 1965 and best known for high-quality audio and surround sound, Dolby creates innovations that enrich entertainment at the movies, at home, or on the go. For more information about Dolby Laboratories or Dolby technologies, please visit www.dolby.com.