Community

AES Recording Forum

Microphone Technique for an on camera interview

(Subscribe to this discussion)

Default Avatar
John Cress

Comment posted August 19, 2015 @ 00:35:43 UTC (Comment permalink)

Hi Everyone!

I run a weekly professional podcast in LA.  Every month or so we have listeners supply questions for an interactive Q & A that I stream through Periscope.  I also record the Q & A for a podcast episode.  

The first time I mic'd my performers up with AKG 414's on boom stands, which offered great audio quality—but the aesthetic was shot down by the creative director.

Next I tried Sennheiser lav's (ew 112-p G3 with ME-2’s).  This kept the Director happy with the aesthetic but the audio quality doesn't even compare. 

1.  Has anyone ever used the Sennheiser ew 112-p G3 lavalier microphones with great success? If so, any ideas of why i am not getting my desired high level of audio quality?

2.  Suggestions for an alternative microphone scheme to accommodate both aesthetics and audio quality?

3. Should i be using Shotgun microphones instead? (Rhodes NLG2’s)

(Respond to this post)      

Default Avatar
Andrea Cremonini

Comment posted September 7, 2016 @ 16:18:35 UTC (Comment permalink)

I would use a cardioid microphone on a boom stand but out of camera. If indoor, the use of a shotgun could be worse because of the reflections from the ceiling or the walls. Of course it depends from the positining and the size of the room. You should try both and see what works best. You should be able to keep the microphone at a distance such that the interviewee is able to reach with their hand and still be out of shot. I hope this helps.

Subscribe to this discussion

RSS Feed To be notified of new comments on this post you can subscribe to this RSS feed. Forum users should login to see additional options.

Join this discussion!

If you would like to contribute to the discussion about this post and are an AES member then you can login here:
Username:
Password:

If you are not yet an AES member and have something important to say about this post then we urge you to join the AES today and make your voice heard. You can join online today by clicking here.

AES - Audio Engineering Society