AES Dublin 2019
Friday, March 22, 10:15 — 11:45 (Liffey Hall 2)
W10 - Mix It! Are There Best Mixing Practices?Chair:
Ian Corbett, Kansas City Kansas Community College - Kansas City, KS, USA; off-beat-open-hats recording & sound reinforcement
Nadezhda Rakhmanova, Mariinsky Theatre - Russia
Paul Thompson, Leeds Beckett University - Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
This workshop, ideal for students, new engineers, and more experienced engineers looking to speed up their workflow and productivity in studio mixing, live sound and event production, will discuss topics including:
• Starting a mix, and the key elements of a mix.
• General approaches to mixing music.
• Improving the workflow of mixing, and whether there are best practice workflows or procedures that can be followed in order to make the process of mixing together a large number of audio tracks or channels into a cohesive mix an easier, faster, and more predictable experience, and less of a mysterious black-art.
• Common mistakes to avoid.
• What do you really need, and how do you select different tools and techniques for use in your mix?
• Getting the job done and finishing the mix given real-world time and budget constraints and limitations.