AES San Francisco 2012
Friday, October 26, 3:30 pm — 5:00 pm (Room 134)
Al Schmitt, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ed Cherney, Edward Cherney Company - Venice, CA, USA
George Massenburg, Schulich School of Music, McGill University - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Al Schmitt & Friends: AES Roundtable of Award-Winning Engineers
A roundtable discussion of modern recording techniques and trends will be hosted by 21-time Grammy-winning engineer and producer Al Schmitt. The panel includes some of the biggest names in audio production: Elliot Scheiner (Foo Fighters, Eric Clapton), Ed Cherney (Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones), George Massenburg (Earth Wind & Fire, James Taylor), Chuck Ainlay (Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits), and Frank Filipetti (Foreigner, KISS).
Topics covered at the roundtable will include:
• Understanding the differences of recording at home, in a project studio and in a larger traditional studio
• How to effectively record drums
• How and when to use effects
• Techniques for vocal thickening
• Obstacles that were encountered and resolved during the recording of classic albums
• Diplomacy in the studio with artists, executives and other stakeholders
The event will be sponsored by the Sennheiser Recording Sound Academy and is open to all AES attendees.