AES San Francisco 2012
Product Design Track Event H1
Friday, October 26, 11:15 am — 12:15 pm (Room 121)
Historical: H1 - Popular Misconceptions about Magnetic Recording History and Theory—Things You May Have Missed over the Past 85 YearsPresenters:
Jay McKnight, Magnetic Reference Lab - Cupertino, CA, USA
Jeffrey McKnight, Creativity, Inc. - San Carlos, CA, USA
• Who really discovered AC Bias? The four groups that re-discovered it around 1940, including one person you've probably never heard of.
• How does AC bias actually work?
• Is a recording properly described by "surface induction"?
• The story of the "effective" gap length of a reproducing head, and a correction to Westmijze’s Gap Loss Theory.
• Does Wallace’s “Thickness Loss” properly describe the wavelength response?
• Does disconnecting the erasing head make a quieter recording?