AES London 2011
Sunday, May 15, 11:00 — 12:30 (Room 5)
W10 - Acoustics for Sound Reinforcement
Peter Mapp, Peter Mapp Associates - Colchester, Essex, UK
Ben Kok, Ben Kok – Acoustic Consulting
Traditionally, acoustic design for performance spaces focuses on optimum acoustics for non-reinforced performances. However, a fine concert hall for symphonic music can be very troublesome for reinforced sound. Even performance spaces designed with variable acoustics are mostly optimized for acoustic sources, little consideration is given to the needs for reinforced sound.
This session addresses the different acoustic requirements for reinforced sound as opposed to non-reinforced sound. Topics to be discussed will include:
- Reverberation, support or interference?
- Source directivity, positioning and aiming
- Discrete reflections and how to avoid them
- What to include in a new venue for optimum adaptation for reinforced sound
- Practical measures in existing situations
- Workarounds in acoustic harsh environments