Last Updated: 20060727, mei
Saturday, October 7, 7:30 pm — 8:30 pm
to 8:30 pm
Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity features a world class E.M. Skinner Pipe Organ Opus 477. Three special circumstances set apart the E.M. Skinner Organ Opus 477 from all the other organs built in America from 1910 until the early 1930s: the influence of organist Benjamin S. Moore, the acoustics of the church building, and the timing of the contract. The resulting performance is a true Ernest M. Skinner masterpiece—an organ of brightness, warmth, and versatility typical of the more recent “classic” Aeolian-Skinner organs, and one whose flexibility and tonal variety support the performance of the entire wealth of organ literature. Moore was organist and Director of Music at Trinity Episcopal Church from 1921 until his death in 1951. Trained in England his all-around musicianship Skinner admired. Opus 477 is Skinner’s response to Moore’s needs. Skinner continually refined the organ, incorporating his latest discoveries in pipe construction and voicing, and in mechanical equipment. The acoustical ambiance of the building is live and supportive. The organ speaks from specially built organ chambers behind zinc pipes, which are mounted in walnut cases high above opposite sides of the chancel. The Great and Pedal divisions are on the north side, along with Choir and Solo; the Swell is on the south. The organ was contracted for in 1924 after Skinner’s visit to the factory of Henry Willis III and heard the Westminster Cathedral organ in progress. Skinner combined what he learned from Willis with his own fresh insights resulting in the building of his finest organs. Opus 477 is one of the few remaining untouched Skinner organs in the United States; it is the largest unaltered classical Skinner organ on the West Coast and one of only two unchanged Skinner organs in San Francisco.
The program features works by Bach, Boellmann, Franck, Mendelssohn, and Whitlock.