In This Section
- Education Home
- Students Blog
- Student Delegate Assembly
- Student Competition
- Education Directory
- FAQ (Common Questions)
- Educators Forum
- AES Educational Foundation
- Student Community & Forum
Q & A for AES Educational Foundation Grant Applicants
This Question and Answer document will assist the AES Foundation Grant applicant to better understand the application process. Please read before submitting the grant application or e-mailing questions to AES.
- How do I apply for an Educational Foundation Grant?
Please visit http://www.aes.org/education/foundation/ for information and an application form.
- Who qualifies for a Foundation Grant?
Any student participating in a graduate program in audio or related subjects. Please refer to the Foundation website.
- When can I apply for an AES Foundation Grant?
Completed applications may be submitted to AES between March 15 through May 15.
- Are scholarships for full tuition?
No, grants are generally in the four or five thousand dollar range.
- Who qualifies to submit the two required references?
One from a major professor or academic advisor, and one from a faculty member or distinguished professional in the field.
- How do you prefer to receive references?
These should be collected by you in sealed envelopes, and sent in with your application package. Review guidelines in the application.
- Can a Grant be renewed for a second year?
Yes, if you are continuing graduate studies, but you must apply for the renewal.
- Do you accept CDs and DVDs of student productions?
No, only the application form will be accepted.
- Can I attend a different college if I’ve received a grant?
Yes, you may request a change of program by notifying the AES Foundation.
- Can I apply for a grant for graduate studies in acoustics?
Yes, this is a related subject.
- Can I apply for a grant for a bachelor’s degree in audio?
No, grants are exclusively for graduate studies.
- Can I apply for a grant to attend an event, or complete a production?
No, grants are for graduate educational studies.
- I have further supporting materials for my grant application, should I re-submit?
Yes, additional materials may be submitted before the deadline.
- Are grants available for part-time students?
No, grants are only for full-time graduate students.
- How exactly is audio commitment demonstrated?
Your application is reviewed by our directors who have professional backgrounds in audio and academia. They will assess your ability to significantly contribute to the audio industry.
- Is the AES Foundation Scholarship good for each semester in a school year?
No, the grant is for one academic year, beginning with the next semester. You may defer to the second semester.
- Is the $5000 stipend in addition to a Foundation grant?
No, there is just one grant awarded.
- Does receiving this grant obligate me in any way?
You must complete the year for which the grant is given. We also hope that you will contribute to our industry and to help other students in the future.
- I have not received word that you received my grant application?
You will receive notification after the May 15 deadline.
- Can the check be sent to my personal bank account?
No, the check will be mailed directly to your institution, to the contact you supply.
- To which address do I send my college contact information?
An e-mail address will be supplied with your award information.
- Can the grant be used to purchase personal items?
No, grants may be used for tuition and expenses such as room, board, books, fees, etc.
- Can I begin my studies during the 2nd semester of the year?
Yes, if the AES Foundation is notified.
- Can I re-apply next year if I am rejected this year?
Yes, re-applications are accepted during the application period.
- Will I receive a letter if I am rejected?
You will be notified by e-mail.
- Can you tell me what I can do to be successful in my grant application next time?
Grants are on a competitive basis. Chances may be improved with proof of your success in your studies and professional activities.
- Which colleges offer audio programs?
Please refer to http://www.aes.org/education/directory/ for a full listing of colleges.
- Which colleges in the AES Educational Directory offer scholarships?
The AES Foundation does not coordinate non-Foundation scholarships.
- Do you have any questions that weren't answered above?