In This Section
- AES 2015 Election Results
- The results are in!
- Time to Vote: 2015 AES Elections
- Deadline was Friday, July 10th
- AES Continues European Growth with Highly Successful 138th Audio Engineering Society Convention in Warsaw, Poland
- First-ever AES Convention in Poland draws attendees and presenters from around the world
- First Book in "AES Presents" Series from Focal Press
- New edition of Handbook for Sound Engineers, edited by Glen Ballou
New Measurement Techniques for Portable Listening Devices: Technical Report
Cory D.F. Portnuff
Measuring output characteristics of portable listening devices (PLDs), such as MP3 players, is critical to assessing the potential risk of music-induced hearing loss from use of these technologies. However, the current methods of measurement require expensive measurement equipment in the laboratory. This paper reports on two novel measurement techniques using a dosimetry system and a clinical probe-microphone system. These new techniques provide alternative measurement methods that will allow researchers to gather accurate and convenient measures of PLD output levels outside of the laboratory setting.