In This Section
- 135th AES Convention Hits A Five-Year High
- Convention takes a bite out of the Big Apple and reminds the industry that “If It’s About Audio, It’s At AES”
- AES 2013 Election Results
- The results are in!
- Time to Vote: 2013 AES Elections
- Deadline is Friday, July 12th
- Recordings from AES Rome Jazz Concert Now Available
- Listen to the Greg Burk Jazz Trio in ImmersAV
New Measurement Techniques for Portable Listening Devices: Technical Report
Cory D.F. Portnuff
Measuring output characteristics of portable listening devices (PLDs), such as MP3 players, is critical to assessing the potential risk of music-induced hearing loss from use of these technologies. However, the current methods of measurement require expensive measurement equipment in the laboratory. This paper reports on two novel measurement techniques using a dosimetry system and a clinical probe-microphone system. These new techniques provide alternative measurement methods that will allow researchers to gather accurate and convenient measures of PLD output levels outside of the laboratory setting.