In This Section
- New "AES Portal" in Process of Being Rolled Out
- Take a moment to create your new Login today!
- AES 2016 Election Results Announced
- The AES has released the list of winning candidates from the balloting in the 2016 Audio Engineering Society international elections
- AES Opens Early Registration & Housing Options for AES Los Angeles, September 29 — October 2
- Use promo code AES141WEB at checkout for FREE Exhibit-Plus badge
- Research Finds Audible Differences with High-Resolution Audio
- Listeners can hear a difference between standard audio and better-than-CD quality, known as high-resolution audio
New Measurement Techniques for Portable Listening Devices: Technical Report
Cory D.F. Portnuff
Measuring output characteristics of portable listening devices (PLDs), such as MP3 players, is critical to assessing the potential risk of music-induced hearing loss from use of these technologies. However, the current methods of measurement require expensive measurement equipment in the laboratory. This paper reports on two novel measurement techniques using a dosimetry system and a clinical probe-microphone system. These new techniques provide alternative measurement methods that will allow researchers to gather accurate and convenient measures of PLD output levels outside of the laboratory setting.