In This Section
- 137th Audio Engineering Society Convention Breaks Records and Draws Acclaim from Attendees, Exhibitors and Presenters Alike
- Convention reminds West-Coast audio community, “If It’s About Audio, It’s At AES!”
- AES 2014 Election Results
- The results are in!
- Time to Vote: 2014 AES Elections
- Deadline was Friday, July 11th
- AES Showcases Latest Audio Innovations and Best Practices at 136th International Convention in Berlin
- Successful Technical Program and Exhibition draw high attendance and positive response from attendees and exhibitors alike
New Measurement Techniques for Portable Listening Devices: Technical Report
Cory D.F. Portnuff
Measuring output characteristics of portable listening devices (PLDs), such as MP3 players, is critical to assessing the potential risk of music-induced hearing loss from use of these technologies. However, the current methods of measurement require expensive measurement equipment in the laboratory. This paper reports on two novel measurement techniques using a dosimetry system and a clinical probe-microphone system. These new techniques provide alternative measurement methods that will allow researchers to gather accurate and convenient measures of PLD output levels outside of the laboratory setting.