In This Section
- The AES Celebrates Its E-Library Publications and Collections in September with FREE Offer for Members
- All members receive 25 free downloads in September 2015
- AES 2015 Election Results
- The results are in!
- Time to Vote: 2015 AES Elections
- Deadline was Friday, July 10th
- AES Continues European Growth with Highly Successful 138th Audio Engineering Society Convention in Warsaw, Poland
- First-ever AES Convention in Poland draws attendees and presenters from around the world
New Electronic Earplugs for Musicians
Recent work on high-fidelity electronic BlastPLG(tm) earplugs for the military was prompted by the report that one-third of our deployed soldiers return with hearing loss because some 80% decline to wear their issued passive HPDs. The resulting ready-to-wear devices have 2-3 weeks battery life and 16 kHz bandwidth. The BlastPLG earplugs were sent on request to musicians from the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington DC. The NSO musicians' initial reactions were positive, but with reservations: They asked if it was possible to provide greater headroom, less attenuation for sounds in the 80-90 dB SPL region, and modified recovery time in the Adaptive Compression circuit. A final "Music Pro(tm)" electronic earplug evolved with switchable selection of 9 dB and 15 dB attenuation of loud sounds, accompanied by 0 dB and 6 dB amplification for soft sounds. No overload distortion has been reported even by those sitting directly in front of the brass section.