In This Section
- Time to Vote: 2015 AES Elections
- Deadline is Friday, July 10th
- AES Continues European Growth with Highly Successful 138th Audio Engineering Society Convention in Warsaw, Poland
- First-ever AES Convention in Poland draws attendees and presenters from around the world
- First Book in "AES Presents" Series from Focal Press
- New edition of Handbook for Sound Engineers, edited by Glen Ballou
- 137th Audio Engineering Society Convention Breaks Records and Draws Acclaim from Attendees, Exhibitors and Presenters Alike
- Convention reminds West-Coast audio community, “If It’s About Audio, It’s At AES!”
A roundtable discussion of modern recording techniques and trends was hosted by 21-time Grammy-winning engineer and producer Al Schmitt. The panel included some of the biggest names in audio production: Elliot Scheiner (Foo Fighters, Eric Clapton), Ed Cherney (Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones), George Massenburg (Earth Wind & Fire, James Taylor), Chuck Ainley (Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits), and Frank Filipetti (Foreigner, KISS).
Topics covered at the roundtable included:
• Understanding the differences of recording at home, in a project studio and in a larger traditional studio
• How to effectively record drums
• How and when to use effects
• Techniques for vocal thickening
• Obstacles that were encountered and resolved during the recording of classic albums
• Diplomacy in the studio with artists, executives and other stakeholders
This event was sponsored by the Sennheiser Recording Sound Academy and is now freely available for download to all AES members via our Tutorials website.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Multi-Platinum engineer/producer Young Guru was highly visible at the recent 133rd AES Convention in San Francisco. In addition to participating in the SRO Platinum Producers/Engineers Panel with super hit makers Jack Douglas (John Lennon, Guns N’ Roses) and Narada Michael Walden (Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston), he also made an impressive presentation at the Convention’s highly successful Project Studio Expo.
A prolific producer/engineer/A&R wizard, Young Guru has amassed credits for more than a dozen Platinum hip hop classics including Jay-Z’s The Black Album, Life & Times of S. Carter, and The Blueprint; Kanye West’s The College Dropout; Ghostface Killah’s FishScale; Nellyville, Drake’s Thank Me Later and Beyonce’s Crazy In Love. In 2011 he was a Grammy nominee for his work on the Alicia Keys/Jay-Z Empire State of Mind smash hit.
A highlight clip of Young Guru’s AES Convention experience may be viewed here:
With over a decade of Grammy-winning projects for Roc-A-Fella and Def Jam Recordings, Young Guru is committed to sharing his knowledge, and experience. He lectures extensively, and has established the Young Guru Scholarship Fund for students pursuing careers in Communications, Audio Engineering, Music Education and Music Business.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013