In This Section
- Call for Board of Governors Nominations
- Deadline is February 15th
- The AES Celebrates Its E-Library Publications and Collections in September with FREE Offer for Members
- All members receive 25 free downloads in September 2015
- AES 2015 Election Results
- The results are in!
- Time to Vote: 2015 AES Elections
- Deadline was Friday, July 10th
Recording devices in Smithsonian National Museum of American History - Acoustic
Acoustic Recording devices in the NMAH Division of the History of TechnologyAfter the thumbnail images on this page have loaded, click to jump to any of these photo groups:
- Edison tin foil phonograph 1879
- Tainter graphophone 1886
- Columbia graphophone 1897
- Berliner gramophone 1888
- Tainter lateral-cut disc 1881
photos from left: PDRM0708 with flash - PDRM0710 no flash - PDRM0711 no flash - PDRM0713 no flash - PDRM0714 with flash - PDRM0715 cu of grooves on top of cylinder no flash
photos from left: PDRM0701 right side view - PDRM0702 front view - PDRM0703 left side view - PDRM0704 wax cylinder right view - PDRM0705 reproducer over cylinder - PDRM0706 wax cylinder left view - PDRM0707 reproducer over cylinder end view, no flash
photos from left: PDRM0717 - left side with horn but no case, flash used - PDRM0725 left side with horn and case, flash used - PDRM0718 right side with horn and case, flash used - PDRM0721 left side showing spring motor and key and reproducer and left side of shiny mandrel
photos from left: PDRM1544 - PDRM1545 - PDRM1546e - PDRM1548 - PDRM1549 zinc disc - PDRM1550 cu of center zinc disc - PDRM1551 cu of reproducer with needle detached
photos from left:PDRM1553 - PDRM1554 cu shows lateral cut grooves - PDRM1555 - PDRM1564
- 1999 by Steven E. Schoenherr. All rights reserved.
The photos on these pages are used with permission of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. They may not be reproduced or distributed without written permission of the NMAH.
digital photos taken June 21, 1999 by Schoenherr | Return to Recording Technology History Notes | this page revised July 7, 1999